PDA

View Full Version : 7.0 Cumulative Update 7.0.012o

MBushell
02-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Update: BibleWorks Executable (7.012o)
Date: 02/21/06 at 13:59:21

This is a cumulative public release that contains the following fixes, most of which were available in previous preview posts.

2/21/06 This version fixes a problem with the diagrammer. Both BW6 abd BW7 could crash when loading diagrammer files produced with very early version of BW6.

2/14/06 fixes a crash problem on systems without the Holladay Lexicon installed. The program was not designed to run without Holladay so this may not fix all issues. A bug in the installation program permits Holladay to be unchecked. If you deselected Holladay you should reinsert the first installation CD and add the Holladay Hebrew Lexicon.

2/14/06 fixes some problems with the new BibleWorks exception handler that tries to provide a smooth exit from program crashes. The backup ini file should be saved properly now and the option checkboxes should function properly.

2/13/06 fixes a bug in the Analysis Window that prevents the TSK Cross References from being displayed for versions other than the KJV.

2/3/06 Fixes a crash bug that can occur when highlighting text in the Browse Window in Interlinear Mode.

This is a NOT a preview version. No access code is needed to download this patch.

If you have problems with this update please post a reply to this message on the BibleWorks Forum in the Program and Database Updates section. If you post a response elsewhere we may not see it. Please do not use this section to post messages about anything but this update.

Thanks!

thomascrumb@hotmail.com
02-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Just downloaded the 7.0.012o update, but my program is still reading 7.0.012g. Additionally the diagrammer is still crashing when I go to the Leedy New Testament Diagrammer. Did something go wrong with my download?

thomascrumb@hotmail.com

Integ
02-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Will we be able to download updates independent of the program, as with previous versions? I do not have internet in my office (nor do I want to). I would like to be able to download updates from elsewhere to update Bibleworks 7 on my office computer.

Dunk
02-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi,
I updates to version P today, since then I cannot play videos anymore.
I get the "Getting started" screen come up, and the first 5 getting started videos will work, but when I click on the "Bibleworks study Guides" link I get the following message:
"Study guide page not found"
and then a suggestion that I havn't installed the video files from the CD's.

It worked fine before the upgrade.
I wonder if its to do with my having installed Bibleworks onto the D drive.

Thanks
Dunk

Joan Korte
02-23-2006, 03:22 PM
I downloaded the latest executeable patch which did update my splash screen to 7.0.012p. However, the Getting Started page appeared. The only videos that work for me are the ones listed under Getting Started. The STUDY GUIDES will not play. I get a page saying "Study Guide Page not Found".

I didn't download any other patches. And all go to my hard drive.
I am sure this will be fixed. Thanks, Joan

Adamsen
02-24-2006, 05:52 AM
Georg S. Adamsen

I downloaded the latest executeable patch which did update my splash screen to 7.0.012p. However, the Getting Started page appeared. The only videos that work for me are the ones listed under Getting Started. The STUDY GUIDES will not play. I get a page saying "Study Guide Page not Found".

I didn't download any other patches. And all go to my hard drive.
I am sure this will be fixed. Thanks, Joan

Joan Korte
02-24-2006, 08:14 AM
I did a System Restore in XP after downloading "p" so that I could get my videos back. The latest announced patch is "o" and I find it curious that what showed up to download was "p". Was "p" ever announced in this forum? If it was, I missed it. I'm guessing the next one will be "q". :confused:

Dunk
02-24-2006, 08:45 AM
I have found that it is still possible to watch the video files, but not from the opening getting started window.

If you navigate into the help files from Bibleworks, and then click on study guides you can watch the video files. (sorry to not give more info but I'm not infront of Bibleworks at the moment)
It's annoying to not be able to watch them from the opening "Getting Started" window, but its probably not as annoying as doing a system restore, and loosing the new updates.

Peace
Dunk

Joan Korte
02-24-2006, 02:21 PM
So, based on your info. I downloaded the patch again, and I cannot get to the study guide videos through the Getting Started Screen. But through the Online Help menu and then navigating to "6. Bible Works Study Guides" within the Online help. (The "Study Guides" on the Help menu would not work.) I can play the videos but the links are broken: I can bring up Preparing a Book Study, scroll down and play the videos on that page but, if I click on a link at the top such as "Read the Text", etc. I get the Study Guide Page Not Found. I followed the prompts to Insert Disk 1, Modify and make sure Study Guides is checked. It is. Still a problem.

I'm sharing this to see if it is just me. I would send Tech Support an email but I know they are super busy these days and this is really a minor issue, but, still an error.

MBushell
02-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Oops. Sorry about that. I just posted a new executable that should address this. Let me know if this doesn't take care of it.
Thanks,
Mike

Ken Neighoff
02-24-2006, 05:03 PM
The next update fixes the video problem for me.:)

Michael Hanel
02-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Oops. Sorry about that. I just posted a new executable that should address this. Let me know if this doesn't take care of it.
Thanks,
Mike

I don't know whether this affects anything or not function-wise, but it is a little odd. I downloaded the latest patch .012p, but BibleWorks says it's running version .012q The latest patch did fix the videos it seems, just checking to make sure the letter differential is okay.

Joan Korte
02-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Could you tell me because nothing is showing up when I check through the BibleWorks program? Thanks.:)

Werner
02-25-2006, 06:33 PM
I am crashing regularly since buying and installing 7.0. Got the update, vers .012q shows now yet to no avail. It just tells me that Bibleworks has encountered a serious error. Then it shuts down.

Version 6 was running smoothly.

Where do I go from here?

Michael Hanel
02-25-2006, 06:40 PM
I am crashing regularly since buying and installing 7.0. Got the update, vers .012q shows now yet to no avail. It just tells me that Bibleworks has encountered a serious error. Then it shuts down.

Where do I go from here?
1. The biggest thing would be to find ways to replicate your crash. In other words, are there certain things you're doing when the crash happens and can you go through those exact steps and replicate it. Problems are very, very hard to fix when all you can say is "It crashes." Thus it won't likely get fixed very quickly. The more specific you are, the easier it is for BW staff to find out what's going on and fix it.

2. Contact BW staff at support@bibleworks.com about #1.

Also keep in mind, in the short term future bugs aren't getting fixed ASAP because their offices are backlogged, but in the long-term future all of the bugs will get fixed and more features added, be patient.

Dunk
02-25-2006, 07:03 PM
My video problem is fixed! Well done!
However, I just started trying to generate reports today for the first time, and everytime I do Bibleworks crashes.
Fortunately it does manage to save the file though as it crashes.
It freezes for a very long time, the only solution I've found has been to Ctrl Alt delte and stop BW

B.T.W Does anyone know a quick way to get that report file back up when I reopen Bibleworks?

Dunk

Mark Eddy
02-28-2006, 11:38 AM

Where do I go from here?
What operating system are you running? During beta testing I had problems with running BW7 on Windows ME. It worked OK until I applied my first patch. After that time I wasn't able to get it to work. But on my XP machine I've had no problems.
Mark Eddy

jlaning
02-28-2006, 12:44 PM
I am having the same problem with frequent crashes. For awhile I had been trying to find some activity that would always make it crash, but to no avail. Then I read some of the threads on this forum, and decided to try generating a verse report (since I read that some had the program crash at this point). And indeed I found that it always crashes when I try to close the verse generator after I have generated a report. So, even though this was not what I was doing before when it crashed, I thought there may be an underlying problem that surfaces in a number of different ways.

I still have the problem after installing the latest update. I am running version 7.0 on Windows XP SP2. Version 6 worked flawlessly.

jlaning
03-02-2006, 06:27 PM
The latest update "s" solved my problem.

dsmohler
03-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Hello,

Like some others, I have had program crashes out-of-the box and continuing through every patch, including "s". I am running a new Gateway PC with WinXP Pro, Pentium4 3GHz, 1GB RAM.

I start Bibleworks and it crashes, asking me to reset everything. If I do NOT include the option to reset the INI file, then Bibleworks never restarts properly; it will crash. Now, with patch "s", the application also "hangs" after crashing requiring me to terminate the application through Task Manager.

If I reset everything, I can run Bibleworks indefinitely so long as I do not close the application. Once I close the application, it will always crash the next time I start it and I have to go through the whole process all over again.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled. This did not change the behavior. I have also turned off AVG Anitvirus, SpySweeper anti-spyware programs and that made no difference. I have no other symptoms with any other program.

Thanks,
David

Adamsen
03-06-2006, 01:10 PM
It is very difficult for the programmers to determine the reasons for the crashers you experience when you provide as little information as you do.

There is a faq, I guess, that explains how you can help them. If you are able to run BW7 from the standard setup, then try to change one thing at a time. Change a parameter, exit BW to make it update the ini file, and the run BW again. If it works, change the next parameter.

I know it's tedious, but my own experience is that this is a helpful way to proceed. As soon as you know what causes the crash, they will fix it quickly, if you send a detailed explanation and the ini file that was saved just before the crash.

Good luck.

Georg

dsmohler
03-06-2006, 10:27 PM
With all due respect, Dr. Adamsen, I am a Microsoft Certified Application Developer and a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer with both certs on the .NET platform; I write this stuff for a living.

The fact is, I did try one thing at a time, namely:

Remove antivirus. Problem remained.
Remove Webroot SpySweeper. Problem remained.
Un-installed and reinstalled Bibleworks 7 from CD, with antivirus and SpySweeper still uninstalled. Problem remained.
Applied the latest patch "s". Problem remains.The following information can be deduced by any competent developer: The INI file is a critical clue in the problem in that it has to be reset in order for BibleWorks to function - even if NO changes have been made to the Bibleworks settings. The question, therefore, is what happens in the code execution, upon program launch, that would immeidately cause a crash? Furthermore, as I stated, BibleWorks does not crash during use or after long periods of idle activity. This is also helpful information.

The developers can direct the troubleshooting approach as they see fit. If there are logs or a diag mode, I will be happy to do what it takes to assist the developers.

So, if they require further technical information, I trust they will request it, as they see fit, in due course. I believe that's what this forum is for.

David S. Mohler
ClearLogic Corporation (http://www.clearlogic.net)
Dayton, OH

Michael Hanel
03-07-2006, 12:44 AM
So, if they require further technical information, I trust they will request it, as they see fit, in due course. I believe that's what this forum is for.

David S. Mohler
Dayton, OH

I assume you've contacted the BW tech support directly? (http://www.bibleworks.com/support.html) That's really the #1 way to deal with these issues. Messages on forums can get answers, but generally not as quickly and you're not necessarily guaranteed anything.

dsmohler
03-07-2006, 05:17 PM
The armchair authorities on technical support in this forum are somewhat perplexing.

Bibleworks posts the following in these very forums:

If you have problems with this update please post a reply to this message on the BibleWorks Forum in the Program and Database Updates section. If you post a response elsewhere we may not see it. Please do not use this section to post messages about anything but this update.

This is sufficient instruction to me that the forums are monitored, and that I should afford the patience required for the engineers to finish current issues and then address mine. Frankly, the support by Bibleworks is sterling (especially compared to Biblesoft) and the frequent updates delivered by Bibleworks is more than commendable.

I am not at all concerned about the quality or timeliness of the support! I am thrilled with the product, thrilled with the rapid updating, thrilled with the forum responses from Bibleworks and quite annoyed with the academic authorities who feel they need to instruct a 25-year professional developer on how techncial support should be requested.

David S. Mohler
Dayton, OH

Michael Hanel
03-07-2006, 05:28 PM
The armchair authorities on technical support in this forum are somewhat perplexing.

Bibleworks posts the following in these very forums:

This is sufficient instruction to me that the forums are monitored, and that I should afford the patience required for the engineers to finish current issues and then address mine. Frankly, the support by Bibleworks is sterling (especially compared to Biblesoft) and the frequent updates delivered by Bibleworks is more than commendable.

I am not at all concerned about the quality or timeliness of the support! I am thrilled with the product, thrilled with the rapid updating, thrilled with the forum responses from Bibleworks and quite annoyed with the academic authorities who feel they need to instruct a 25-year professional developer on how techncial support should be requested.

David S. Mohler
Dayton, OH
Well not all users are as patient as you are. I am sorry if I caused undue confusion. Indeed you can respond to things on this thread, but in general most people want answers "now" and the forums can't always get that. The reason I directed you to email tech support rather than just posting here is because your problem seems not to be with this specific patch, but something else. All I was doing was trying to tell you how to get the best help possible. Sorry if you felt misled.

Adamsen
03-08-2006, 04:24 AM

... quite annoyed with the academic authorities who feel they need to instruct a 25-year professional developer on how techncial support should be requested.

David S. Mohler
Dayton, OH

Professional developer or not, academic or not, this is a user forum, and I, as one user, simply tried to help both Bibleworks and you, another user. It may be that I misread what you wrote. I am sorry about that. I promise I will do whatever I can to not let it happen again.

Nevertheless, I am surprised that you speak contemptuously of academics, only because a signature reveals that some persons are academics in one way or another. I signed with my Christian name only (as did you), as my professional status is, I guess, irrelevant.

On the other hand, you emphasize that it is not necessary to give any suggestions to you, as you are a professional developer. I am sorry that I annoyed you as a professional developer, experienced in programming, design, and - perhaps - friendly user interaction. It was not intentional on my part, however. It could not be, as you did not write anything about your own professional status.

When I wrote in the heading: "Perhaps you could ...", this was, really, meant as a kind suggestion to you, of course, but also to us all. Sorry that I did not express myself more precisely.

Georg

ger0
03-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Going to back to the original problem of Mr Mohler: I had in the beginning similar problems. Mine was that I hadnot installed ASV which is apparently on the installation-CD's preconfigured to pop up when you hover over those text references in green in the Analysis window. The remedy was that I changed in View/choose popup versions ASV into BGT WTT (in my case, but any other will do as well, as long as they have been installed, of course).

Well, for what it is worth - having a mere programming experience of a couple of years while collecting a couple of academic titles.

From my armchair, Gert

(yes, I am not pleased with the tone of the conversation :( )

MBushell
03-08-2006, 09:18 PM
The change in letters is OK. Sometimes I post minor changes without notification.

Mike