PDA

View Full Version : "Back" button

paul
02-21-2006, 01:29 AM
Before 7, there was an arrow in the tool bar to revert to a previous view. Now, I can't find one. Is there a way I can add it to the tool bar, or is it already somewhere and I can't find it?
For instance, clicking on a link in the analysis window will display that verse in the center panel. How can I get back to the original passage?
Thank you.

Adelphos
02-21-2006, 01:44 AM
Before 7, there was an arrow in the tool bar to revert to a previous view...

I, too, miss the ability to view all the contexts from the context button we had in version 6.

However, there are still two context buttons left in version 7. They are the "back" and "forward" buttons, and you can find them on the right side of the search window, i.e., to the right of the tabs. Those buttons will take you backwards or forwards.

Also, if you click on one of the other tabs before you move to another verse, you can just click on the first tab you were in before you switched tabs and this will take you back to where you were.

paul
02-21-2006, 06:43 PM
it's been easy for me to get "lost" and have to work my way around. in spite of the many video lessons, i miss the printed manual.

Mark Eddy
02-21-2006, 10:56 PM
it's been easy for me to get "lost" and have to work my way around. in spite of the many video lessons, i miss the printed manual.
Everything that used to be in the "printed manual" is included in online Help. And it won't get out of date, as the printed manual did. Just place your cursor over something you want to study in the manual and hit the "f1" key, and the appropriate part of the manual will come up on your screen. It's actually a lot quicker than paging through the manual.
Mark Eddy

Don Johnson
02-25-2006, 05:28 AM
I, too, miss the ability to view all the contexts from the context button we had in version 6.

However, there are still two context buttons left in version 7. They are the "back" and "forward" buttons, and you can find them on the right side of the search window, i.e., to the right of the tabs. Those buttons will take you backwards or forwards.

The context buttons don't really do it for me, I wish there was an easier way to get back and forth... Perhaps I am overlooking something??

I was wondering if it might be possible to make the Verse History Listbox into a drop-down menu item (optional) to be displayed in the Results window right beside the Browse listboxes... That might be better than the context buttons...

FWIW

Dan Phillips
03-04-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm pretty much with you, Don, if I get what you're saying.

I have never made sense of the "History Back Button." I hoped it'd make better sense in 7 (which I'm enjoying), but it still doesn't -- or, I should say, whatever sense it makes, I don't get it. I read the Help file on it, and don't really get it.

The kicker is this: "It functions somewhat like the Back and Forward buttons in Internet Explorer." Well, no, it doesn't. Page back will take you to the last place you were, and then the one before that, and then the one before that, etc.

This button -- I don't know what it does. Sometimes it goes to the one you just were, sometimes it goes back fifteen searches. In church, I'll get into my Greek text, look at a verse, look at another, then five more, and hit the Back button, and boom! I'm back where I was eight searches previously, and in English. Hit the Forward -- nothing!

What is it doing? Why won't it just go back a step at a time? Is there a way to do that?

Mark Eddy
03-04-2006, 09:46 PM
In BW7 the "Back" buttons are tab specific. So if you are in tab #1, the back button will take you to the previous display in that tab. If you do a search in tab #1, then switch to tab #2 and do a number of searches, the "back" button won't take you back to tab one, until you go back to tab #1.
Does that help explain it?
Mark Eddy

Don Johnson
03-04-2006, 10:28 PM
In BW7 the "Back" buttons are tab specific. So if you are in tab #1, the back button will take you to the previous display in that tab. If you do a search in tab #1, then switch to tab #2 and do a number of searches, the "back" button won't take you back to tab one, until you go back to tab #1.
Does that help explain it?
Mark Eddy
Hi Mark

That makes sense as far as it goes. But doesn't it just cycle through the verses in that tab, not necessarily last displayed? I haven't used it much, so perhaps I am missing something.

But... I want to be able to have a way to quickly go back and forth between verses displayed, not necessarily searched. The old context menu buttons seemed to do that fairly well, and the verse list history box seems ideal, to me, especially if it could be made into a window in the Results window 'menu bar' or whatever it is called.

Anyway, not a big deal. I can always type the reference in the command line.

Michael Hanel
03-04-2006, 10:39 PM
But... I want to be able to have a way to quickly go back and forth between verses displayed, not necessarily searched. The old context menu buttons seemed to do that fairly well, and the verse list history box seems ideal, to me, especially if it could be made into a window in the Results window 'menu bar' or whatever it is called.

Could be a bug if there really is a problem, but as far as I've played with it, I've had no complaints. I even tried to see if I could trick it, advancing a few verses and then going back a few and then changing books, changing versions. Pressing the back button was able to reduplicate every single step I took. So like I said, it works well for me. If you can list some examples of things you're doing that it is NOT, then maybe you can have a definite answer, i.e. 1. Oh it doesn't do that and it's not intended to or 2. It should do that, just needs to be tweaked. That's how problems can get fixed or that's how the Help files can be edited to make it more clear what a feature does and does not do.

Don Johnson
03-04-2006, 10:51 PM
If you can list some examples of things you're doing that it is NOT, then maybe you can have a definite answer,
I'll give it a try, I don't have it loaded on my home computer yet (way too much too do!!) and I don't have internet at the office. So... But I'll play with it a bit.