PDA

View Full Version : BW fonts...

Radiulo
02-19-2006, 12:39 AM
I have written a paper that I want to post on a website but it uses BW fonts (I've quoted and xlated some greek). Can I post the BW greek font for download, or is that prohibited by some form of copyright?

If I can't, can anyone recommend a method to translate the greek into something that can be viewed on the web?

Thanks,
Taylor (aka Radiulo)

MGVH
02-19-2006, 01:05 AM
If you want to share text without worrying about proprietary (ie BW) fonts, your best bet is to export the Greek text using Unicode.
Go to Tools > Options > Fonts tab > select Export Fonts > check Unicode for Greek and Hebrew.
You will need a Unicode font, but these are available for free. (While in the Export Fonts tab dialogue, click on the Help button, and some explanation is given there.)
I have also set up this page (http://www.gettysburgseminary.org/mhoffman/greek/fonts.htm) to help my students get set with fonts. I pretty much use the Cardo font for my work.

NumberMan™
02-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Speaking of Fonts, the Hebrew Daleth and Reish and especially the Heh and Chet are too similar with the Bible works Font.

These are clearly correct looking:

רד
חה

Those are easier to read then the Bibleworks Hebrew fonts in my opinion. It would be nice to have the Daleth hook out more rather then looking thinner and a very obvious more solid Chet. Anyone else?

arggem
02-19-2006, 12:40 PM
If you are using Word (I have Word 2000, but I assume the newer ones can do this,too) you can embed the fonts in the document:

Tools/options/save/Embed True Type fonts.

This allows anyone who can open the document to read it with the original fonts.

Edit: spelling correction

Radiulo
02-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Oh, I've got the embed part figured out... I want to convert my document to html and for that the person viewing the web page needs the appropriate fonts on their computer...

Michael Hanel
02-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Oh, I've got the embed part figured out... I want to convert my document to html and for that the person viewing the web page needs the appropriate fonts on their computer...

On BibleWorks fonts see this link (http://www.bibleworks.com/fonts.html).

Joshua Luna
02-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Anyone else?

The BW Hebrew font looks very similar to the standard academic edition of the Hebrew Bible (BHS), so personally I would prefer they keep it the same. I believe it is a matter of what you are familiar with, but distinguishing between similar looking letters becomes easier once you are familiar with the distinctive differences of each script. The same applies to Torah scrolls which also have various letters that look very similar and require special attention at first.

You may be able to alter the BW font btw.

On the other hand I would support alterante font options; in particular an unpointed Hebrew Scroll font variation.