PDA

View Full Version : BW 7.0 -- Word Analysis & Editor Layout?

Roger Horning
02-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I got BW 7 recently and it is awesome. I love the new screen layouts.

The editor is a great improvement, something I will probably use now.

I would like to see the Word Analysis screen and the editor at the same time.

I have been unable to find a way to split the Bible Text window as in version 6.

Another option that would work would be displaying the Word Analysis on the top of the right side of the screen and the editor on the bottom.

Any suggestions?

Michael Hanel
02-12-2006, 05:46 PM
One soultion perhaps: You can go to File and Open the Editor as its own desktop window and play with rearranging screen real estate.

Roger Horning
02-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks Michael:

That will work but has the inconvienience of covering some part of the window and the window scroll buttons.

If it can't be done now, maybe they will add it :). They are very good at that kind of thing.

Roger

vr8ce
02-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Thanks Michael:
That will work but has the inconvienience of covering some part of the window and the window scroll buttons.

If it can't be done now, maybe they will add it :). They are very good at that kind of thing. They are very good at that kind of thing, but for whatever reason they don't think this particular thing is worth having, in spite of several years of the practice and several of us who yelped when it was taken away. So, don't hold your breath, it is extremely unlikely you'll ever see it again.

Vince

MBushell
02-13-2006, 03:18 PM
The new interface adds a number of new panes and tabs. Our very strong feeling was that we needed to try very hard to minimize duplication of functionality more than we have done in the past - to prevent the interface from becoming even more complicated than it is. We had tried to add a lot of new stuff while at the same time reving a lot of duplication of functionality. Not everyone will appreciate what we have done, but we hope that most will agree with the need to simplify. We know it's hard for people who are used to doing things one way to have to do it another way. But we need to see how the changes are received before thinking about rethinking our thoughts on the subject.

Right now the editor is accessible via the ditor tab in the Analysis Window or via a floating editor window that can be opened from several different places (main toolbar, main menu, editor toolbar, etc.). That should be enough to cover most needs. We will consider other possibilities but we do need to be cautious about too much feature clutter - which makes it hard for new users and also tends to produce buggier code that is more difficult to maintain (getting to be a real problem with the program as large as it has become).

Mike

Roger Horning
02-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Mike:

You guys have come up with a great program and I love the new features of version 7. I know you need to do what is best for the users as a whole and developing a powerful program like BibleWorks that is simple enough for people to use is important. While I would love to have an integrated editor that lets me see the search window, brows window, and Word Analysis, while I am typing, I am happy to get used to things the way they are.

I have been using BibleWorks since version 3.5. BibleWorks is the best program, has the best programing staff, and responds to user requests better than any software period. No other companies that I am aware of are even on the chart in this regard (and I do own other Bible software).

I am a more than happy customer, weather this change gets made or not.

Roger

ger0
02-13-2006, 05:56 PM
I fully agree with Roger: is is a loss of functionality :( now I cannot see the autoinfo window (analysis window) AND my versenotes at the same time :mad:: quite often I need the autoinfo window when revising my notes.

For the rest: First impression is that a lot of superb :) functionality has been added and more :) lexicons I will ever consult.

Gert

Ben Spackman
02-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Folks, just so you know, we went the rounds on this several times during beta testing. All the comments/complaints you can think of have been registered and noted.
I am one who complained bitterly, but the new set-up has grown on me after using it for a while.

The reason for a new area of the forums for screen shots is for users to show how they've arranged BW7. You can even almost recreate the setup of v. 6 if you want.

When I am really doing both intensive notes and intensive lexicon work, I open a new word analysis window and put it to the left of the browse window. (Or, see Joe's setup on this thread (http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1152).)

MBushell
02-13-2006, 08:43 PM
We've talked internally long and hard about this and think our approach is best in the long run, even though it may require old users to learn new ways of doing things. I know some of you don't agree, but I don't think any functionality has been lost. You can open up floating Word analysis Windows and floating editors to you heat's content. When I get some time I will probably make it so the program remembers secondary Word Analysis and Editor Windows so you can make them more or less "permanent". But that won't be until the release settles and we've squashed all bugs.

Thanks for your patience.

Mike

Roger Horning
02-14-2006, 01:38 AM
The floating editor is not my favorite but I did not know I could open a floating word analisys window. I am going to have to give that a try. Maybe that will work for me.:)

Thanks.

Roger

Roger Horning
02-14-2006, 02:19 AM
Well I like the floating "word analysis window" but I also noticed that if I open a secondary "brows window" it has a "word analysis window" in it.

So for now I can just open a secondary "brows window" and place it over the top of the original brows window and I have what I need.

Joe Fleener
02-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Click on the Top Left Button in the Editor Tool Bar.

pingpongjedi
02-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks, Joe. I found one of your screenshots and saw that you had done exactly that. I just started clicking buttons and found the solution you offered, so I deleted my post.

Thanks for the response, though!

guilford
02-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Mike,
Thanks for your explanation of why things were changed for v7. I do have to agree that v6 had a dizzying array of options for how to do things, and simplification is an admirable goal. I see that you are considering having Bibleworks save floating window positions in a future version, which would be very useful indeed, but when you are doing that please consider the following as another possible option:

Version 7 currently has a boolean choice for the analysis window, either to the right of the browse window or underneath the browse window. I would submit that changing that boolean choice to a choice between three options might help out a good number of users without introducing too much confusion. The new list of choices would be: display to the right of the browse window, display beneath the browse window, and a choice to display it both places. That would allow people to easily display any two tabs of their choice (without having to use a floating window). So users who want to see the editor tab in additional to another tab would be able to do so, and people like me who want to see the word analysis tab and the resources tab at the same time would also be able to do so.

I completely understand if this is simply not the direction you are taking the program, but since I would love the option, I felt that I should at least propose a viable possibility. Having the program remember the position of floating windows would help in this case, but would still not be quite as slick as having the option directly in the main window.

Brad

Roger Horning
02-22-2006, 03:02 AM
The new list of choices would be: display to the right of the browse window, display beneath the browse window, and a choice to display it both places.

This would be a great option. However, I also understand if this cannot be done.

Roger