PDA

View Full Version : Plato's Works

Michael Hanel
02-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I guess people are getting BW7 now, so here's the unveiling. Available for download here (http://www.cune.org/michael.hanel/plato.zip).

Plato's Works in Greek
2/6/06
ver. 1.0
----
Introduction
Instructions
Plato Problems
Updates
Version History
---

Introduction

This is a Greek database that contains a good portion of Plato's Works for users of BibleWorks 7. The files might work for BW6 or below, but I have not tested them for such nor do I plan to. These are provided free, as-is. The Greek seems largely based on the 1903 Burnet editions which are public-domain. If any modifications to the text are necessary please contact me through email (see below). This is a work in progress and more writings of Plato will probably be included in the future. It is my hope that this encourages a broader knowledge of Greek language by increasing the availability of these texts and that they can be used in a way that is efficient for the users of BibleWorks.

This project was completely undertaken by myself. BibleWorks staff is not responsible for the content or the use of this database. So if you have any problems with the database, contact me (ekim11 -at- hotmail.com), not BibleWorks support. While the text has not been proofed completely, it appeared to be a fairly clean text. The major problems that I've had with it so far have to do with accents and breathing marks, but just like the Masoretic text, the consonants (and here even the vowels!!) appear to be quite accurate. If you find any glaring problems please email me (ekim11 -at- hotmail.com) and I will try to get out a better edition.

For any further explanations, check out the pto.bww file, which, when you put it in your "databases" subdirectory, will be available for you to view while in BW when you put your cursor over "PTO" in the Browse Window.

----

Instructions:

1. Unzip the file into a new BibleWorks subdirectory \BibleWorks 7\userdb\pto\
2. PTO.bww should be placed in your \BibleWorks 7\databases\ directory.
3. In a general text editor like Notepad copy and paste the following into your books.bna file (in the BibleWorks 7\init\ directory) in order to get the names to appear in the Results Window. (In BibleWorks go to Tools:Options:Book Names This will tell you what .bna file your BibleWorks is using. That's the file you want to attach the following to using a general text editor like Notepad)
Apy,Plato-Apology,Apology,Apy
Cto,Crito,Crito,Cto
Pdo,Phaedo,Phaedo,Phaed,Pha,Pdo
R01,The Republic-Book One,The Republic-Book One,R01
R02,The Republic-Book Two,The Republic-Book Two,R02
R03,The Republic-Book Three,The Republic-Book Three,R03
R04,The Republic-Book Four,The Republic-Book Four,R04
R05,The Republic-Book Five,The Republic-Book Five,R05
R06,The Republic-Book Six,The Republic-Book Six,R06
R07,The Republic-Book Seven,The Republic-Book Seven,R07
R08,The Republic-Book Eight,The Republic-Book Eight,R08
R09,The Republic-Book Nine,The Republic-Book Nine,R09
R10,The Republic-Book Ten,The Republic-Book Ten,R10
Eut,Euthyphro,Euthyphro,Eut
Pdr,Phaedrus,Phaedrus,Pdr
Smp,Symposium,Symposium,Smp
Tms,Timaios,Timaios,Tms
Ion,Ion,Ion,Ion

4. In BibleWorks go to Tools:Version Database Compiler. Open the PTO.ddf file. Make sure the Install After Compiling is checked and then hit compile. If you have not restarted BibleWorks after you've changed the books.bna file, you may need to do that in order for everything to work properly.

---

Plato problems

text won't accept <>'s it spits them out funny in the full word list, however they appear correctly in the text...?

[]'s seem to cause search errors. search for autos and it finds them ok in the search window but in the browse window the word immediately after autos is the one highlighted

" marks show up as final sigmas in the Word list

Hopefully these are problems that can be fixed in the future, but it is on the BW Version Database Compiler to fix such things.

----

Updates
Keep an eye out on the BibleWorks forum (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/) for any future updates. Notice will be posted there.

----

Version History

1.0 2/6/06 Plato's Works (includes Apology, Crito, Phaedo, Republic, Euthyphro, Phaedrus, Symposium, Timaios and Ion) :)

CMBessette
02-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Will this work in BW 6?

Michael Hanel
02-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Will this work in BW 6?

Try it and find out. I don't think it will work properly, but like I said, i haven't used it in BW6. I think the hang up will be " marks. They'll probably be formatted wrong. You would have to load pto.txt and remove all " marks with the Replace All function. Then it might work better. But like i said, I'm not helping that. It took hours and hours to get it this way and it works in BW7, I didn't care to spend more time making sure it worked on BW6.

Columcille
02-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Since I'm still waiting for v7 to arrive in the mail, I went ahead and installed this under v6. The best I can tell, it displays fine in BW6. It doesn't seem to display any lexical data under BW6, I'm not sure whether or not it is supposed to?

Michael Hanel
02-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Since I'm still waiting for v7 to arrive in the mail, I went ahead and installed this under v6. The best I can tell, it displays fine in BW6. It doesn't seem to display any lexical data under BW6, I'm not sure whether or not it is supposed to?

Nope, no lexical data. You only get that stuff if you make a morphology version. If you want to do that, you're more than welcome to!! :) I am not entirely sure, but I think that quotation marks don't come across correctly. Search the pto.txt file in Wordpad or something for " and then go to a verse in BW that has one of them. It will either come out as a quotation mark or something else.

Also if you're connected to the internet you can right click on Greek words and send them to Perseus to get morphologies or simply read the text at Perseus and click on the word in that program and get the same.

Michael Hanel
03-14-2006, 09:19 PM
If you use Plato's Works, redownload it and re-compile it. I've made a couple of changes to the text. You can get it here (http://www.cune.org/michael.hanel/plato.zip).

Secondly, I've begun Plato's Works in English available here (http://www.cune.org/michael.hanel/pte.zip).

Plato's Works in English
3/14/06
ver. 0.1
----
Introduction
Instructions
Problems
Updates
Version History
----

Introduction

This is a sister database to Plato's Works in Greek. It is my attempt to help users who wish to use some of the Greek in Plato, but still are not quite up to making their way through it. This also makes Plato accessible to people who only wish to read English. The English translations are not exactly world-class, but they give users a place where they can begin to wrestle with words, phrases and lexicons.

This is a work in progress and more writings of Plato will probably be included in the future. In version 0.1 I have only finished Plato's Phaedo and Republic Book One. It is my hope that the combination of this database with the Greek one encourages a broader knowledge of Greek language by increasing the availability of these texts and that they can be used in a way that is efficient for the users of BibleWorks.

This project was completely undertaken by myself. BibleWorks staff is not responsible for the content or the use of this database. So if you have any problems with the database, contact me (ekim11 -at- hotmail.com), not BibleWorks support. If you find any glaring problems please email me and I will try to get out a better edition.

For any further explanations, check out the pte.bww file, which, when you put it in your "databases" subdirectory, will be available for you to view while in BW when you put your cursor over "PTE" in the Browse Window.

----

Instructions

1. Unzip the file into a new BibleWorks subdirectory \BibleWorks 7\userdb\pte\
2. PTE.bww should be placed in your \BibleWorks 7\databases\ directory.
3. If Book Names have already been modified you may skip this step. In a general text editor like Notepad copy and paste the following into your books.bna file (in the BibleWorks 7\init\ directory) in order to get the names to appear in the Results Window. (In BibleWorks go to Tools:Options:Book Names This will tell you what .bna file your BibleWorks is using. That's the file you want to attach the following to using a general text editor like Notepad)
Apy,Plato-Apology,Apology,Apy
Cto,Crito,Crito,Cto
Pdo,Phaedo,Phaedo,Phaed,Pha,Pdo
R01,The Republic-Book One,The Republic-Book One,R01
R02,The Republic-Book Two,The Republic-Book Two,R02
R03,The Republic-Book Three,The Republic-Book Three,R03
R04,The Republic-Book Four,The Republic-Book Four,R04
R05,The Republic-Book Five,The Republic-Book Five,R05
R06,The Republic-Book Six,The Republic-Book Six,R06
R07,The Republic-Book Seven,The Republic-Book Seven,R07
R08,The Republic-Book Eight,The Republic-Book Eight,R08
R09,The Republic-Book Nine,The Republic-Book Nine,R09
R10,The Republic-Book Ten,The Republic-Book Ten,R10
Eut,Euthyphro,Euthyphro,Eut
Pdr,Phaedrus,Phaedrus,Pdr
Smp,Symposium,Symposium,Smp
Tms,Timaios,Timaios,Tms
Ion,Ion,Ion,Ion

4. In BibleWorks go to Tools:Version Database Compiler. Open the PTE.ddf file. Make sure the Install After Compiling is checked and then hit compile. If you have not restarted BibleWorks after you've changed the books.bna file, you may need to do that in order for everything to work properly.

----

Problems

Hopefully there are no major problems other than the fact that not every Plato writing is provided (yet). I'll admit, this is not a very high project on my list, so if you wish to help aid this process, let me know.

----

Updates

Keep an eye out on the BibleWorks forum (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/) for any future updates. Notice will be posted there.

----

Version History

0.1 3/14/06 The first release of Plato's Works in English includes Phaedo and Book One of the Republic.

Michael Hanel
03-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Okay, final addition to this week. Plato's English is still the same as it was a couple of days ago, but today I finished another major addition to Plato's Works in Greek: Plato's Laws. A twelve book wonder, an addition of over 100,000 Greek words now within your grasp in BibleWorks :)

Same download address (http://www.cune.org/michael.hanel/plato.zip). The Zip file includes new files:
pto.txt
pto.bww
readme.txt

Happy Greeking! :)
No I'm serious. No more updates to Plato this week. Maybe next week ;)