PDA

View Full Version : Qumran Module QSM - Question

NumberMan™
02-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Am I missing something, I can't locate what the "1Q Sb 1:8" for example would correspond to, such as what is the fragment this book is from Psalms, Isaiah etc... or other books.

Is there an info button on that within the module? If not is there a list somewhere on the internet so I know what fragment I'm reading from other then the code they use to identify the fragment.

I know 1Q means Cave 1, but looking for what book its from. Thanks for any help.

Michael Hanel
02-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Go here (http://home.flash.net/%7Ehoselton/deadsea/cave01.htm) to see about abbreviations, e.g. Doesn't yours show up as Rule of the Blessing as your book name? I think you're right it would be nice to have more information on the Qumran manuscripts. However, the BW module is basically just the Hebrew text + morphology. In BW7, you could easily link to a website with more information through the External Links manager (hint, hint for Joe or someone else who's hot on keeping track of these links ;)). However this obviously would require you to have internet access while working on them. Another option is to save a little info on each Qumran manuscript into a BW note file and that way it would be readily available to you upon using BW regardless of being connected to the internet or not. A great many of the Qumran scripts are self-explanatory, but more detailed descriptions would be awesome and it'd be something a user could do, zip up the text files and share for all. And isn't that what the Qumran community would have wanted after all ;)

Ben Spackman
02-06-2006, 03:25 PM
If you enable the drop-down box above the results window, it shows you every book name in full.

See this thread (http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096&highlight=qumran) as well.

NumberMan™
02-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Ben can you screen grab where your saying? I'm still new to the interface and there are lots of windows.

Thanks for the Help.

Ben Spackman
02-06-2006, 04:03 PM
I only have v.7 installed on my laptop, but the drop-down boxes look more-or-less the same.

If you search the help section for "browse list boxes" you should find some instructions on activating them. It may be as easy a right-click around the area where they appear in the results window.

arggem
02-06-2006, 04:27 PM
I only have v.7 installed on my laptopSure, go ahead...rub it in.

NumberMan™
02-06-2006, 05:08 PM
When I have all that activated I see only for example "QSM - 1Qsb - 1 - 1" with none of the names of the fragments that your screen grab shows.

Was that a recent addition? I have all the display options on. It would surely help identify the fragments better.

Ben Spackman
02-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Not a recent addition.
It was in v. 6 as well.

Um. You've clicked on the box, once it appears? If it's displaying other things, I'd contact BW support directly.

NumberMan™
02-06-2006, 05:19 PM
If I swap to one of the english bibles then that info appears. It seems to be disabled in the QSM and only gives me Fragment ID's and verses with no other info.

I'll ask the customer support people unless you can walk me through the exact word for word menu option to display what your seeing. Maybe its just broke?

Michael Hanel
02-06-2006, 05:29 PM
That info should be contained in your book name files. These are files that end in .bna found in the BibleWorks subdirectory called "init". In BibleWorks go to Tools: Options: BookNames. That's where you can select correct bookname files, if something is whacked out. A .bna file is simple text, it can be opened by Notepad or Wordpad. There's no reason why you should not have a book name file that doesn't have the Qumran info in it, so that's why this seems so odd.

NumberMan™
02-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Here's a screen grab of what I see. (if this URL is working)

http://www.numberman.net/BibleWorks_Screen_Grab.html

My web provider is currently having server problems so eventually this pic will show up...

NumberMan™
02-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Not sure why the image won't display so here is link to the screen grab:

QSM (http://www.numberman.net/BibleWorks_Screen_Grab.html) Screen Grab

Mark Eddy
02-06-2006, 11:48 PM
When BW 6 shipped the book names file was incomplete for Qumran. In BW you can go to "Help" and click on "BibleWorks on the Internet" then "check for updates." It could be that you still have the older Qumran files. If not, I've provided a book names file as a user database (available at the top thread on the list). You can download that, put it in your "init" file in BW (while BW is closed), open BW and click on "Options" then "Book Names" then "Open" then click on "books_2" then "Open" then Save, and you should be in business.
Mark Eddy

NumberMan™
02-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks Mark that fixed the problem. (Doing it the manual way, auto update didn't ever fix in case you need that for future info)

Dale A. Brueggemann
02-07-2006, 06:22 AM
Another option is to save a little info on each Qumran manuscript into a BW note file and that way it would be readily available to you upon using BW regardless of being connected to the internet or not.

That's a great idea, especially if you included the various ways of referring to the mss. e.g.,

1Qsb
Name: Rule of the Blessing, or Recueil des Benedictions
Item # 1Q28b
INV: DAJ 662-64, 1000
Publ.: Bartelemy, DJD I (1955) pls. XXV-XXIX