PDA

View Full Version : Bibleworks 7??? This is WRONG!

DSTAngieB
01-26-2006, 04:45 AM
I just purchased Bibleworks 6 from the Bibleworks website three weeks ago!!! :eek: When I did so, I searched and searched and searched the Bibleworks website looking for any possible HINT of a new version coming out!! I wanted the lastest and greatest version. Seeing none, I went ahead and made this expensive purchase plust some add-ons (well over $500) and now you've got to be kidding me!! I have to pay another $150 to upgrade the version I just bought 3 weeks ago???:mad:

This is SOOOOO wrong! They should have a policy that those who just purchased the latest version within the last month can upgrade for free. This is completely unfair especially when they had NO MENTION of a newer version coming up on their own website! Had I known Bibleworks 7 was coming, I would have simply waited for the new version!!

I am extremely disappointed in the Bibleworks company!:(

Joe Fleener
01-26-2006, 05:44 AM
Did you contact BibleWorks directly first regarding your situation? This public forum is not the place to do that. (This is certainly not a church, but it seems that the principle in Matt. 18 of going to your brother first would still apply here.)

In the past they have had a policy very similar to the one you are so desiring. It would seem that one should contact them directly explain your situation and ask what their upgrade policy will be for people like you before going to a public forum such as this.

tcblack
01-26-2006, 07:39 AM
Contact the company immediately.
Three weeks is a very short time and I have no doubt you will be taken care of without the need for getting upset.
Microsoft might treat you like a second class citizen, but the folks at BW will treat you like a brother.

pingpongjedi
01-26-2006, 07:43 AM
I can personally vouch for the comments made. Please contact them. The BW staff and developers are incredibly nice people.

tfjern
01-26-2006, 08:06 AM
I've been using BibleWorks for at least a decade, or so it seems, and I have bought and used numerous software products over the years. I can vouch that the staff of the company and Mike in particular are the most reputable and hardworking people you will probably ever encounter.

Michael Hanel
01-26-2006, 08:53 AM
This is SOOOOO wrong! They should have a policy that those who just purchased the latest version within the last month can upgrade for free. This is completely unfair especially when they had NO MENTION of a newer version coming up on their own website! Had I known Bibleworks 7 was coming, I would have simply waited for the new version!!

I know you may be disappointed but you also have to take in mind another person's perspective, namely the BW company. Imagine you're working on a new software release, but you are not sure exactly when it will come out. Let's say you start letting the cat out of the bag, that it will be out in 2 months. How many people do you think will NOT buy your software because they just want to wait until the new one comes out. Now you may think to yourself that's fair, but do you realize what that does to a company? For two months revenues bottom out as people stop buying your program. Now how do you pay the bills, pay the staff, etc?

All I'm saying is before you get too upset, consider the other person's point of view. No one is trying to rob or cheat anyone.

pingpongjedi
01-26-2006, 09:07 AM
I bought BW a few weeks ago after debating between BW and "the other program." (I have lots of resources in the other format, so I am familiar it.) After a lot of research and agonizing, I decided on BW6. Part of my decision was seeing all the long-term satisfied users. In this thread alone, one user has been using BW for over 10 years. Ten years ago, I was using a monochrome monitor on an 8088 computer. To know that this program has been around that long give me confidence that
1) It's mature
2) It's innovative
3) It has a loyal following
4) BW listens to and is fair to its users.

I anxiously await the shipment of my BW7 preorder :)

Dale A. Brueggemann
01-26-2006, 09:08 AM
I have to pay another $150 to upgrade the version I just bought 3 weeks ago? .... Had I known Bibleworks 7 was coming, I would have simply waited for the new version!

I feel confident that someone who has just purchased 6.0 will be given a favorable upgrade price. BibleWorks' customer support and service has been excellent, and I've been with them since version 3.

O course, I would think there still needs to be some upgrade price. Looking at the new additions in version 7, I'm amazed at the extent of this upgrade. Sweeping rework of the "editor", the addition of some incredible value in "included" texts, and a fairly comprehensive rework of the program for usability. This is MAJOR. I can hardly wait.

Work through your upgrade price negotiations, and I'm thinking that you'll come of it a fan of both the software, and the software company.

Michael Hanel
01-26-2006, 09:09 AM
I've been using BibleWorks for at least a decade, or so it seems, and I have bought and used numerous software products over the years. I can vouch that the staff of the company and Mike in particular are the most reputable and hardworking people you will probably ever encounter.

Yeah you definitely have me beat, I only go back to 2000 :)

xara777
01-26-2006, 09:15 AM
BibleWorks has a 30 day money back guarantee, so you will not lose any money. All that you need to do is return version 6 and then purchase version 7.

Mike

Ben Spackman
01-26-2006, 09:54 AM
There have been several threads mentioning features of BW 7 in the last few months. Its existance and coming release was strongly hinted at enough that people occasionally asked for updates on it, such as in comments 2 &3 in the thread here (http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108).

BW's good folks though. They're not unreasonable.

MBushell
01-26-2006, 11:28 AM
This is not the best place to air grievances like this. Contact BibleWorks support at support@bibleworks.com and I think you will find them to be courteous and understanding.

We cannot give advanced notice of impending releases because the moment we announce, sales will dry up and we could be in a very difficult situation financially, especially if the announced date slips (almost a certainty). We have had internal target dates for this release for months and they have slipped at least a half dozen times. Even without an announcement sales for January dwindled to extremely low levels, probably because of rumors about an impending release. We have to pay salaries and bills so new product releases are tricky. If we back ourselves into a corner so that sales dry up for several months, the company could easily be at risk. Many of the problems that we deal with don't have predictable solution dates. In fact we did not know for sure that we would relase this version now until a couple of weeks ago. So try to see things from our perspective.

There is also a Biblical principle involved here. See the parable of the Vineyard in Mat 20. People who bought BibleWorks 6 for an agreed upon price got what they paid for. I can understand the disappointment, but there is no unfairness involved. I buy a lot of software and I have purchased a package many times only to see a new version come out a month or so later. No company has ever offered a special deal to me bacause of that. I was disappointed but understood their predicament. But having said that I would suggest that you contact BibleWorks support and I think you will be pleased with their response.

We are a small company trying to serve the Lord as best we can. Producing a complicated product like BibleWorks for a relatively small market, and doing it in a professional way, while keeping the price as low as we do, is very difficult. We try to treat others as we would want to be treated, and we make many decisions because they are good for our users, even though on the surface they are bad business decisions. We care much more about our users and enabling them to understand Scripture better than we do about a financial bottom line. But we cannot continue to serve unless us stay in business. We would love to pre-announce a couple of months ahead, but that is simply not possible.

God bless,
Mike

Jonathan Wass
01-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I purchased BibleWorks almost 30 days ago now and the BibleWorks folks were very helpful in giving me a discounted price for the upgrade. Personally I was very satisfied that they provided me with the price they did. While at first it seemed frustrating to see a new upgrade just after you buy the "latest and greatest," but that would happen no matter when they announced the upgrade.

Someone is always going to buy the product just before an announcement is made. The fact that they will let you own the product for 30 days and then upgrade for a nominal price is something you will not find from hardly any other company.

One thing us Bible guys aren't good at is patience. Personally I would go nuts waiting through delay, after delay, after delay until they finally held to their announced publishing date. I preordered one book and software bundle from a Bible publisher and the publishing date was originally six months ago. Supposedly the book and software will be mailed out today. Frankly, after 3 delayed printing dates I will believe it when I see it.

Believe me BibleWorks is doing us all a huge favor.

gaerix
01-26-2006, 01:08 PM
The same happened to me and I'm really frustrated, too! I really searched (perhaps I'm too stupid to find the hints...:confused: ) and I know, that BW Company is a company that have to earn money - nevertheless I would be happier, if there would be onother way of dealing with these things...

Later Edit:
I know, it's not really fair to write this post without reading the whole discussions - probably the arguments of BW are the right way to deal with these things... For me, it is also a bit a peeve

PS: See also my later post...

Michael Hanel
01-26-2006, 01:13 PM
The same happened to me and I'm really frustrated, too! I really searched (perhaps I'm too stupid to find the hints...:confused: ) and I know, that BW Company is a company that have to earn money - nevertheless I would be happier, if there would be onother way of dealing with these things...
I think the moral of the story is, you won't get any benefit simply by airing your frustration. If you have a major issue, Michael Bushell, one of the BW staff gave you the address (support@bibleworks.com) that you need to email to work out your issue. These forums are not the way for you to talk directly to BW and solve your problem. So if you have an issue, go to them in that email address. That's what it's there for.

gaerix
01-26-2006, 01:28 PM
I think the moral of the story is, you won't get any benefit simply by airing your frustration. If you have a major issue, Michael Bushell, one of the BW staff gave you the address (support@bibleworks.com) that you need to email to work out your issue. These forums are not the way for you to talk directly to BW and solve your problem. So if you have an issue, go to them in that email address. That's what it's there for.

Sorry, I've seen this hint too late - but I just wrote to 'support' before and wrote after that something in the forum, because there I saw, that I'm not the only one, who had/have this problem...

After all, I wanted to edit my post, but that doesn't work (perhaps I'm really too stupid...)... - perhaps it will work later on...

I realize, that unfortunately BW Comp. have to do it that way - nevertheless, it's frustrating...

I know, that it is better to think first and then to do other things - but that doens't work always:o I will try next time...:rolleyes:
God bless

Joshua Luna
01-26-2006, 02:04 PM
I would just like to add that BibleWorks is the *best* software company I have ever dealt with. Their program is the best for what it is designed to do IMO (and in the opinion of many others), but even that takes a back seat to their attitude and customer service.

I suggest anyone who is upset or frustrated contact BibleWorks directly--they are really great people to work with. They back up their product and have a quality return guarantee which is a real guarantee. I am certain they can work out an equitable solution to any problem you have.

I know software cycles are frustrating, but look at it this way: BW6 is a great deal at $300. In the computer industry there is always something better around the corner at a cheaper price. As an example I know someone who bought a brand new graphics card for $500 last month, and now, this week, a new one came out for the same price and is 3x as fast in certain situations. It is the nature of the business; things move fast in technology. Due to delays and hurdles and business reasons you develop what you have and announce it when it is ready to ship, not sooner. I have seen products get delayed for a year a number of times, so the non-announcement is the safe route.

The good news is that if you bought BW6 and liked it when you bought it you got exactly what you wanted at the time. :) The new release does not change the value of the product when it was purchased, it only means now that there is an even more robust product (is that even possible?), which also now costs slightly more.

Joe Holder
01-27-2006, 11:23 AM
There is a solution to your problem. I upgraded from V4 to V6 in January. This morning I phoned BW and ordered my upgrade to V7 for $70 plus shipping. This is a significant break from the published $150. The folks at BW have been unusually helpful and fair with me. I'm sure you'll find them equally so with you.

Joe

Antti
01-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Your next question is time frame. All I can say is that it will NOT be ready for a Fall release. We are waiting on too many important databases to be finished by then. It is possible by the end of the year, but early to middle of next year is much more likely. People who buy 6.0 within 90 days of the release can get 7.0 for just the cost of shipping and handling, and any price difference between 6 and 7 (there may be a small price increase - the first ever).
That is a quote from MBushell from an earlier thread. Isn't $70 more than the price difference between 6.0 and 7.0?:confused:

pingpongjedi
01-27-2006, 04:11 PM
no, the full upgrade price between 6 and 7 is $150.

Antti
01-27-2006, 04:13 PM
I think they meant the difference between 299 and 349. That's $50.

MBushell
01-27-2006, 09:31 PM
That is a quote from MBushell from an earlier thread. Isn't $70 more than the price difference between 6.0 and 7.0?:confused:

The $70 price covers the price difference between 6 and 7 plus handling and media cost. FYI last November the 90 day policy was changed to 30 days. The reason for the change was that the 90 days was originally intended as a trial period, not a back door mechanism for getting a free upgrade within 90 days of a release. This was clear in our literature, I thnk, but there was a lot of confusion about it, so we changed the 90 day trial period to 30 to make things consistent and less confusing. This was included in one of our periodic mailings to all registered users.

Mike

gaerix
01-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Perhaps You saw that I wrote an angry mail about the outcoming of BW7 and I just bought BW 6...
I wrote a not really friendly email to BW because of my frustration - and they answered me in a really friendly way...
We could talk about the problems and now I'm sure again, that BW is not just one of the best BiblePrograms (or even the best...), but also is one of companies with best service and support...

Stefan

pdwinva
01-31-2006, 10:14 AM
I know that several others have already put up posts along these lines, but since the complaint that initiated this discussion was so strongly worded--and since my experience ordering an upgrade to version 7.0 was so satisfactory--I can't remain silent.

I, too, ordered an upgrade to 6.0 just a few weeks before 7.0 was released. But when I called BibleWorks and explained the situation, without hesitating they let me order version 7.0 by simply charging me the difference between an upgrade from 5.0 and an upgrade from 6.0.

In short, my situation was handled most graciously by the BibleWorks staff. There are lots of things in this world that are WRONG ... but BibleWorks policy on upgrades--and the conduct of their staff--are certainly not among them.

Gontroppo
02-01-2006, 05:56 AM
Of all the companies and salespeople I've dealt with, I have never had better service than I get from BibleWorks. These forums and the continual addressing of users' concerns are a prime example of the amazing after sales' service provided so graciously. :p

David McKay:cool: Since I had my cataract operations and new lenses inserted,I have to wear the sunglasses whenever I step outside. Talk about
Fiat lux!

Columcille
02-07-2006, 12:33 PM
You guys speak so highly of their support that I want to have a problem just so I can contact them! Alas, Bibleworks works too well and I haven't yet had an excuse.