PDA

View Full Version : BW7 & Integration with other programs...

jdarlack
01-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Using the External Links Manager, users of BW7 can now right-click a verse and automatically call up data for that verse in non-BibleWorks software! Now you can have the speed of BibleWorks integrated with some of the electronic libraries that are now available in other programs.

Ben Spackman
01-24-2006, 04:51 PM
I really love this feature.

I have a set-up in Logos for looking at the BHs critical apparatus and commentaries. They're all linked to scroll together. With the following link placed in the external link manager, two clicks open all this stuff to the right place. (picture attached)

libronixdls:keylink|ref=[en]bible:<Book>%20<Chapter>%3A<Verse>|res=LLS:NRS

I created several right-clicks, one to search the OED for an English word, another to search Webster's 1828. (If you want the code, it's pretty easy to work with, and I'll share.)

What I'd like to do is be able to send a word to Logos and have it open in the Anchor Bible Dictionary. Any thoughts on how to do that?

Ben Spackman
01-24-2006, 06:14 PM
I figured it out-

libronixdls:keylink|ref=text.<dummy>|res=LLS:ANCH

jdarlack
01-24-2006, 08:43 PM
I've added that to my own links! I'm sure that folks will be excited about this feature. There are quite a few ways to integrate the two programs. If someone is savvy with Java, they could even integrate a small program to do more complicated things (e.g., open up a certain resource in a certain workspace in other programs; perform the search in multiple resources or in a "collection").

I would like to know if there is a way to keylink off of Greek and Hebrew words. I imagine that there would have to be some kind of conversion into Unicode for it to work. Another possibilty would be to keylink off of Strongs numbers. I've attempted to do so, but something seems to get in the way...

jfidel
01-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Hi Jim,

I just ordered the upgrade, but think it would be great to have these posted somewhere other than these forums.

This is a very exciting feature as the two programs can be complimentary to each other, especially for those that have moved to a more digital library.

There is a feature in Logos to "copy a location" under the bookmark section in the menu. Make sure you have PowerTools Addin installed.

Anyway, keep up the work and consider posting it to one of the BW user websites.

John Fidel

jdarlack
01-25-2006, 08:21 AM
...I...think it would be great to have these posted somewhere other than these forums.I'll start a new thread in the general discussion area titled "Integration" in the meantime. Once BW7 is distributed, I'm sure folks will come up with new ideas for integrating the two programs. I'll ask the BW staff about proper decorum when speaking about integration with "competing software."
This is a very exciting feature as the two programs can be complimentary to each other, especially for those that have moved to a more digital library.Yes, I agree. Really I think that the two programs are complimentary. No one in a PC platform can outperform BibleWorks in speed and complexity of searches. I don't know how to write a paper, prepare a lesson or preach a sermon without it! At the same time, digital libraries are helpful. It certainly keeps the desk less cluttered! I've even used the External Links of the BW7 beta to jump between BW and other software while I was in the midst of taking class notes!
There is a feature in Logos to "copy a location" under the bookmark section in the menu. Make sure you have PowerTools Addin installed.Yes. That's the ticket to figuring out how to make the links. It's also helpful to read the article on "Weblinking (http://www.logos.com/training/weblinking)."

xara777
01-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Has anyone tried to establish external links to Pradis' NIDOTTE and NIDNTT?

Thanks,

Mike

jdarlack
01-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Has anyone tried to establish external links to Pradis' NIDOTTE and NIDNTT?I don't see any documentation within Pradis on how to access the program from an external link. Perhaps you could shoot an email to the Zondervan techies to see if its possible.

This should open up some interesting issues for the biblical software "industry." Some companies see themselves in mortal competition with others, while others see themselves as potentially complementary. If companies take a highly competative stance (and refuse to support compatability with other programs) it will ultimately hurt the end user who has purchased several non-compatable software packages! Competition is good. It spurs on innovation, but it can also stifle useability.

Ruben Gomez
01-25-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't see any documentation within Pradis on how to access the program from an external link. Perhaps you could shoot an email to the Zondervan techies to see if its possible.

This should open up some interesting issues for the biblical software "industry." Some companies see themselves in mortal competition with others, while others see themselves as potentially complementary. If companies take a highly competative stance (and refuse to support compatability with other programs) it will ultimately hurt the end user who has purchased several non-compatable software packages! Competition is good. It spurs on innovation, but it can also stifle useability.
Very well put, Jim. I wholeheartedly agree. BTW, could you tell us a bit more about how this link manager works? It reminds me of the old OLE technology that used to be available in some programs many moons ago :)

Thanks!

Rubén Gómez

Joe Fleener
01-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Very well put, Jim. I wholeheartedly agree. BTW, could you tell us a bit more about how this link manager works? It reminds me of the old OLE technology that used to be available in some programs many moons ago :)

Thanks!

Rubén Gómez

Yes it works via both OLE and DDE. Here is the section from the new online help:

BibleWorks has rudimentary DDE capabilities. They allow you to fetch BibleWorks verse data and status information from other applications via DDE links. The available commands are shown below. Each command has a sample showing how it is used in a Word for Windows macro.

BibleWorks can also function as a simple OLE Server. This permits you to control BibleWorks from any application that supports OLE Automation, including Word, Excel, Internet Explorer. Using JavaScript you can control BibleWorks from an HTML file. The commands at the present time are basic and mirror the DDE functionality in most respects. The examples below show both DDE and JavaScript (OLE) versions of the commands.

--------------------

I also could not agree w/ Jim more on compatability between programs.

Ruben Gomez
01-25-2006, 11:37 AM
I see... OLE and DDE are still alive :D Thank you, Joe.

Rubén Gómez

jdarlack
01-25-2006, 11:45 AM
...could you tell us a bit more about how this link manager works? It reminds me of the old OLE technology that used to be available in some programs many moons ago...Here's a quote from the new Help Manual regarding the External Link Manager:

The External Link Manager provides a means of accessing Web sites or other PC applications from within BibleWorks, and passing information and/or search parameters to them. This in effect allows BibleWorks to control these applications. The External Links Manager permits you to define the nature of the link and attach it to a BibleWorks menu so that the link can be executed just by choosing a menu entry.

For those of you who are programmers, what BibleWorks does when you click on one of these menu entries, is gather the information that you have specified for the link and pass it to the operating system in the form of a ShellExecute command. BibleWorks handles all the details so you don't have to, but knowing what is going on may help some people understand better how to use the ELM.You can specify what BW will provide for the link (e.g., Verse Reference; Form; Lemma or NULL [nothing at all]). You can also determine what kind of text is provided (e.g., Bible Verse; Greek Morphology; Greek Text; Hebrew Morphology; Hebrew Text; Latin Text; External Resource; NULL). You can then define which databases the option will appear in when you right click a word (or if you want to put it in the main menu), and you can define which version's verse mapping you would use.

The ELM is an expansion of BW6's shellexec feature that enabled users to look up words in Perseus, etc. One of the main enhancements is the addition of book, chapter and verse entries that facilitate looking up specific passages in other programs.

Ruben Gomez
01-25-2006, 11:50 AM
The ELM is an expansion of BW6's shellexec feature that enabled users to look up words in Perseus, etc. One of the main enhancements is the addition of book, chapter and verse entries that facilitate looking up specific passages in other programs.

Thank you for the info. It sounds really great. It would be very interesting to gather a list of applications/websites that can be linked, searched, etc. by means of this feature, as well as sample links (i.e., syntax used to make the links work properly).

Best,

Rubén Gómez

Joe Fleener
01-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Thank you for the info. It sounds really great. It would be very interesting to gather a list of applications/websites that can be linked, searched, etc. by means of this feature, as well as sample links (i.e., syntax used to make the links work properly).

Best,

Rubén Gómez

I am not sure what the program will ship with. We compiled a set of links during the Beta phase. I assume 7.0 will ship with these as examples.

I know I have about 22 links in my ELM.

It would be no problem starting a thread where we could share what we have now and other users "discover" once more people start to play with the tool.

xara777
01-26-2006, 09:21 AM
No one in a PC platform can outperform BibleWorks in speed and complexity of searches.

Jim, what complex original language searches is BibleWorks capable of that Libronix cannot do? Or do you mean "outperform" in the sense that BibleWorks does complex searches with greater ease and speed as opposed to searches that Libronix cannot do?

Thanks,

Mike

jdarlack
01-26-2006, 09:53 AM
No one in a PC platform can outperform BibleWorks in speed and complexity of searches.Jim, what complex original language searches is BibleWorks capable of that Libronix cannot do? Or do you mean "outperform" in the sense that BibleWorks does complex searches with greater ease and speed as opposed to searches that Libronix cannot do?...Mike, I'll be careful here, because I do not want to enter into any "contests." My opinions are admittedly biased, given that I have become quite accustomed to using BibleWorks. That being said. I have tried (for the sake of showing students in our library) to figure out how to do quick grammatical searches using Libronix's interface--not simple lexical searches (which are quite easy with a right-click in Libronix)--I'm speaking of more complex searches, such as all the instances of a certain inflected form followed by an inflected form within two words that agree with the previous inflected form, etc. Searches that depend on grammar (rather than lemmata) have yet to be surpassed by Libronix (IMHO). That being said, I know that Libronix is developing and beta testing a database that has the GNT broken into clausal structures, so that someone could search on the use of a particular adjective in a non-verbal clause. BibleWorks does not yet have that capability...but who knows in the future.

I think in a sense, that because Libronix is designed to be an electronic library program, the "rich text" of their databases slows down the program a great deal as well. BibleWorks does not claim to be, nor will it ever claim to be an "electronic library." It's purpose is to facilitate quick, detailed work with the original languages...not to build a library. So, BibleWorks tends to excel (in my opinion) in this area.

~Jim

Glenn Weaver
01-27-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm surprised no one has said anything about linking to Google. Here is an external link for Google, plus one for Google Sets. I copied this from my ShellExec.txt. You may need to renumber the External Link # for your list, or you can enter them manually in the BW 7 External Link Manager.

Glenn
===========================
// External Link #22
//
[Google search]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=<dummy>&btnG=Google+Search
Parameters = NULL
MenuLocation = Browse Window English
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Google
Enabled = 1
//
// External Link #23
//
[Google Sets]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = http://labs.google.com/sets?hl=en&q1=<dummy>&q2=&q3=&q4=&q5=&btn=Large+Set
Parameters = NULL
TextType = Latin Text
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = Form
MenuText = Google Sets
Enabled = 1

xara777
01-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Glenn,

Can you give a couple of practical examples on how you would make use of the Google external links? How would you use it in your exegetical work?

Thanks,

Mike

Glenn Weaver
01-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Here is are some examples, Mike. They may not be the best examples. The Google results vary greatly, since the search base is 1) the entire Internet, and 2) not based upon Biblical texts or worldviews. In other words, you may get a bunch of irrelevant hints, only because the search has not been refined to produce Biblically-relevant hints. It's just another tool among many. When it doesn't work, put it back in the toolbox. :)

Google: Searching place names to find background information or current discussion about a site. For example, search on 'Bethsaida' from Mat. 11:21 to quickly find info and pictures on Bethsaida.

Google Sets: Use Google Sets to find related terms for a variety of purposes. Your purpose could be to find other related search terms (in essence, a synonym finder). Perhaps a pastor will want to what is the common usage of a word on the Internet. (Some of the Google Sets hits are surprising.) A third purpose may be to develop a topical study, gathering terms related to the word in your Bible text. One search example is the word 'mercy'.

Joshua Luna
01-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.org) and Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/ both dictionary and thesaurus tools) would be good candidates alongside Google, although my guess some of the encyclopedias included in BW as standard would be a good first look.

Ben Spackman
01-27-2006, 01:45 PM
There's also the 12 volume Jewish Encyclopedia from 1906, if someone can figure out the search syntax to pass to it.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/index.jsp

Joe Fleener
01-27-2006, 02:14 PM
There's also the 12 volume Jewish Encyclopedia from 1906, if someone can figure out the search syntax to pass to it.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/index.jsp

See the post on this tread:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5210&postcount=9

I put them all over there to keep them in one place...

jdarlack
01-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Has anyone tried to establish external links to Pradis' NIDOTTE and NIDNTT?
I don't see any documentation within Pradis on how to access the program from an external link. Perhaps you could shoot an email to the Zondervan techies to see if its possible....I just received an email from Zondervan's technical support team, and they have confirmed that Pradis does not support the kind of linking that BibleWorks can use with the ELM. :( They have passed the feature request on to the developers. Here's the contact info for Zondervan's Tech Support:

1-800-925-0316
ztech@zondervan.com (ztech@zondervan.com)Perhaps if Pradis users "squeak" enough the feature will be added...:rolleyes:

Dunk
01-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi
I have just emailed Zondervan about linking to Pradis.

Does anyone know if the kinking would work with esword?

Thanks
DunK

Joe Fleener
01-31-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi
I have just emailed Zondervan about linking to Pradis.

Does anyone know if the kinking would work with esword?

Thanks
DunK

I have also emailed them and I know of at least one other who has, let's keep bugging them.

Actually, I would rather bug them so that they will license NIDOTTE & NIDONT to BibleWorks!

See this other thread for E-Sword and more...

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158

Dunk
01-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the link Joe.

Actually, I would rather bug them so that they will license NIDOTTE & NIDONT to BibleWorks!

I'm not familiar with the abbreviations you used, what are they?

I was hoping Pradis would link so that I could use the New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek New Testament - Rogers & Rogers.

Dunk

Michael Hanel
01-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the link Joe.

I'm not familiar with the abbreviations you used, what are they?

I was hoping Pradis would link so that I could use the New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek New Testament - Rogers & Rogers.

Dunk

When in doubt Google it!
See here for instance
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031024840X/103-3171876-4355062?v=glance&n=283155

Joshua Luna
02-01-2006, 12:17 AM

I really enjoy the NIDOTTE, so much so I picked up their electronic version to compliment the hardbacks. The scholarship is very good, it is readable, and it has an "Evangelical" bent while really being fair to the text for the most part. I have found it to be a good companion to TDOT (which often has slightly more information, but frequently tends toward a more critical/secular perspective). It would be a great unlock, as would TDOT and "Theological Lexicon of the Old Testament" by Jenni & Westerman. ABD is also fairly useful--I know I would get more use of it if it were in BW. On the other hand NIDOTTE and ABD are pricy in their stand alone electronic formats ($100 and $200 respectively).

xara777
02-01-2006, 07:19 AM
ABD is also fairly useful--I know I would get more use of it if it were in BW.

Joshua,

In case you weren't aware, ABD can be accessed using the External Links Manager in BW7.

Mike

Joshua Luna
02-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Joshua,

In case you weren't aware, ABD can be accessed using the External Links Manager in BW7.

Mike

Thanks Mike :D I look forward to BW7. Bringing all my Bible software under BW (my most frequently used tool and resource) will be a blessing and time saver.

James H. Tifft
02-15-2006, 05:13 AM
Do you suppose if this would work, could I also link BW to a program like E-Sword? There is something here i've never thought of before. I have a Unicorn program I use to print Hebrew, as an example. Anyone please feel free to answer this question, thanks.
Jim T.

Joe Fleener
02-15-2006, 07:43 AM
Do you suppose if this would work, could I also link BW to a program like E-Sword? There is something here i've never thought of before. I have a Unicorn program I use to print Hebrew, as an example. Anyone please feel free to answer this question, thanks.
Jim T.

See the following thread for a examples of E-Sword and other links:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158

pstrickert
02-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Try as I might, I can't create a link to TDNT (full or abridged) in Logos. Has anyone else tried it?

jfidel
02-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Greetings,

The Greek/Hebrew form and lemma do not link to Logos. You will need to be a bit creative to get these to possibly work. Here are a few options:

1. Both the TDNT and TDNTA are tagged with English topics as well as Greek. You can link the English text to either of these, however, that is not what is probably preferred.

2. The second option is to link to logos by bible verse and then by creating a logos workspace and some linking, you should be able to access the resources you want. You can link to the NA27 and from there keylink on the word to get to the TDNT or TDNTA. The NA27 link is already built in BW for you.

3. The last option is to write a program that translates from BW to Logos for the original languages, which I have no idea how to do.

I hope this helps,

John Fidel

jfidel
02-20-2006, 01:38 PM
As a follow up, if you open both TDNT and TDNTA in Logos and link them then use the following settings you can link to English words.. as stated above not ideal, but an option.
[TDNTA]

Operation = Open

Directory = NULL

File = libronixdls:jump|ref=[en]topic:<dummy>|res=LLS:46.10.1

Parameters = NULL

TextType = Latin Text

MapToVersion = NULL

Lookup = Form

MenuText = Logos TDNTA

Enabled = 1

It is linking to the english, not the Greek however.

John Fidel

pstrickert
02-20-2006, 11:37 PM
Thank you, John. I chose #2 and it works like a charm. Thanks again.

hudsonhauck
01-29-2007, 11:03 PM
There is a better way to do it, as of Logos 3, apparently (http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5964&highlight=textkeylink#post5964).

Try the following:

[Look up in Logos TDNT]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|lang=el|scheme=beta|res="TDNT"
Parameters = NULL
MenuLocation = Browse Window Greek
TextType = Greek Text
MapToVersion = KJV
Lookup = Lemma
MenuText = TDNT
Enabled = 1

hudsonhauck
01-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Whoops. Change "Form" to "Lemma" in previous post.

anopcfox
05-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Mr. Darlack
How did you set up that page?

Arthur Fox

sdbpastor
11-15-2007, 10:33 AM
This not so much a reply but a question concerning BibleWorks and WordSearch integration

This question may appear to be stupid but I’m from the school that says that the only stupid questions are those that are never asked. Are there any command-line switches or parameters that can be used when launching WordSearch 7 or 8 that would allow me to open to a particular desktop and/or passage of scripture?

Here is the reason for my question: I am trying to make the most efficient use of my Bible Study resources. Unfortunately, they are scattered among three main programs, WordSearch, Libronix and BibleWorks. I cannot afford to duplicate my books so I am forced to use a particular program often for the sole reason that it contains the study resource desired.

There are many time when using BibleWorks that I want to access resource materials in either WordSearch or Libronix. I am trying to create a context menu selection in BibleWorks like I have setup for Libronix that would enable me to right-click on a passage in any English language Bible (NIV, KJV, NASB, NLT, etc.) and select a menu option that says “Open Verse in WordSearch.” I found this easy to do with Libronix, allowing me to open my Libronix resources to the same passage that I have open in BibleWorks without manually having to launch Libronix and select a passage for study.

However, whenever I click on my context menu selection in BibleWorks in order to open WordSearch to the equivalent passage it opens WordSearch fine but not to the desktop or verse I desire. I need some way to pass this information to WordSearch.

In WordSearch I have a particular desktop set up for Bible Study and I’d like to be able to launch WordSearch from within BibleWorks and have it open my WordSearch Bible study desktop with the bibles open to the same verse I’m studying in BibleWorks.

I would also ask this same question about Quickverse 2006 and the soon to be released Quickverse 2008. While I don't use Quickverse nearly as much as I use BibleWorks, Libronix and WordSearch, I do have a large STEP library that I could benifit from having access to.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Michael