PDA

View Full Version : Pasting (or typing) bwhebb into a certain document

William Ford
01-23-2006, 07:51 AM
I am having problems pasting Hebrew text into a Word document, (which happens to be the document containing my PhD dissertation...) When I paste the text into the main text of the document it seems to cut off the top and bottom of the characters (thus the top of the lamed disappears, the downward stroke of the Qames disappears effectively turning it into a pathah etc).

Alternatively, when I paste the text into one of the headings (which has a different style) it changes some of the consonants (so yodh becomes waw, heth becomes sin/shin etc) although the qames etc don't seem to change. This is also the case when I type in the relevant characters.

However, when I tried to paste or type into a new Word doc, these problems do not occur, which leads me to suspect that it is something to do with the particular document. (I note the FAQ about some video drivers cutting the top and bottom from characters, but this presumably doesn't apply as they look fine in BW and also in other Word docs.)

More specifically, this document is based on a template that was provided to me. This might be the reason for the problem, but I am not familiar with templates and I cannot find any general help (eg on Microsoft webpages). I appreciate that this may well be a problem specific to me (and to this file/template) but I would be grateful for any suggestions.

I am running Bibleworks 5, Windows 98 and Word 97, if that is relevant, but the problem is also present on a system with Win XP/Word 2002.

William

Mark Eddy
01-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Dear William,
I haven't used BW 5.0 in a long time, nor Windows 98, but I know that the formatting of older MS Word documents sometimes doesn't get read properly by a newer version.
What I have done, that sometimes helps, is to open a new MS Word documents. Type something in it and save it. Then copy your old document into the new file and save it. This sometimes updates the formatting, so that any quirks of the old formatting may be worked out. Be sure to proof-read the new document, just in case it changes things you don't want changed.
If this doesn't work, someone else will have to help.
In Christ,
Mark Eddy

Glenn Weaver
01-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Dear William,

I suggest checking two items for the problems you are having. These are common causes these types of problems.

1) Do you have Word's Smart Quotes enabled? If so, some characters may change. The solution may be to turn off the Smart Quotes.

2) Check the line spacing. The default BW Hebrew font size is 18 point, so if your line height is set to exactly 12 point, the top and bottom of the font will be cut off.

If you need further help, perhaps you have a computer geek friend or a computer lab tech who can take a look at your Word setup and see if this is the case. There are a lot of folks working on theses and dissertations who have similar problems.

Glenn

William Ford
01-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks Mark and Glenn

The problem was the line spacing, at least for the main text. The template I was provided had the line spacing set at exactly 12 point, so that is now cleared up.

William.