PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Mac?

adamjcopeland
01-05-2006, 03:01 PM
I plan on purchasing a new laptop soon and have been drawn towards a Mac for many reasons (for another forum). I just heard that BibleWorks doesn't work on Macs. What should I do: get the Mac and give up BibleWorks? get a PC? get my Mac to meld with BibleWorks?

Joe Fleener
01-05-2006, 04:13 PM
I plan on purchasing a new laptop soon and have been drawn towards a Mac for many reasons (for another forum). I just heard that BibleWorks doesn't work on Macs. What should I do: get the Mac and give up BibleWorks? get a PC? get my Mac to meld with BibleWorks?

Oh it works. No real problems. You will just have to use a PC emulator.

Do some searching here on the forum and you will find other who use BW on a Mac.

adamjcopeland
01-05-2006, 04:32 PM
I couldn't find this when I searched for "mac" but when I searched for "emulator" it popped right up. See this forum for a fair discussion of BW on a Mac. Basically, one needs the program Virtual PC. After that, it's a breeze. Thanks Joe.

pdwinva
01-19-2006, 10:36 AM
I'll add my two cents on the BibleWorks-on-a-Mac question, which is that I run BibleWorks 6.0 on a PowerBook G4 using VirtualPC 7.0, and I'm perfectly satisfied. I had to get Microsoft Office for my PowerBook anyway, so I went ahead and bought the Office "Professional" version, which had VirtualPC included. It cost more money, but not nearly as much money as it would have cost me to get the equivalent of BibleWorks in Accordance (a Mac-native program). The program still runs lightning fast. In short, I'm thrilled to have a Mac, and to have BibleWorks runnning on it ... and running well.

CMBessette
01-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I'll add my two cents on the BibleWorks-on-a-Mac question, which is that I run BibleWorks 6.0 on a PowerBook G4 using VirtualPC 7.0, and I'm perfectly satisfied. I had to get Microsoft Office for my PowerBook anyway, so I went ahead and bought the Office "Professional" version, which had VirtualPC included. It cost more money, but not nearly as much money as it would have cost me to get the equivalent of BibleWorks in Accordance (a Mac-native program). The program still runs lightning fast. In short, I'm thrilled to have a Mac, and to have BibleWorks runnning on it ... and running well. I've had the exact same experience (and have all the same hardware/software). If you are still considering buying a Mac, I am unsure if VirtualPC will work on the new Intel-powered computers (it might). You might want to do some research before purchasing!

jarcher
01-29-2006, 02:00 AM
I've had the exact same experience...

As have I. I'm running BW6 with Virtual PC 6 w/ Windows XP. I have 512MB RAM and performance is usable. However, the more memory the better. You may be better off waiting for the Intel boxes though. I'm not sure how it will work but you can probably expect better Windows on the Intel Macs.

Peace,

jarcher

terminalfrost
02-02-2006, 05:32 PM
All that is very good input. My only thing is, I want to buy a Mac to get away from Windows. So I am hesitant to make the switch and just use an emulator. Any thoughts?

pdwinva
02-02-2006, 06:08 PM
I guess I'd say that, even though Virtual PC means using BibleWorks in a Windows environment, I've never felt that I didn't "get away from Windows."

Almost everything else I do at my computer I do directly in MacOSX, and even using BibleWorks this way doesn't make me feel that I've gone back to Windows, because, practically speaking, I see BibleWorks on my screen almost exactly the way I see any other program. Right now, for example, a click on my central mouse button shows me BibleWorks in Mac's "Expose" mode just as it shows me all of my other programs (Safari, Mail, etc.), and I can go to BibleWorks just as easily as I go to those programs.

Sure, there are some differences, some reminders that I'm working via an emulator, but they're relatively minor, and from the vantage point of a big BibleWorks fan, I count them a price that I'm more than willing to pay.

Does that help?

Dale A. Brueggemann
02-03-2006, 08:08 AM
I want to buy a Mac to get away from Windows. So I am hesitant to make the switch and just use an emulator.

Well, AcCordance is a native Mac program, and is FULLY Mac-ish. And quite apart from its interface, it's the Rolls Royce of Bible search software. The negative--it's quite expensive.

apologeticus
02-06-2006, 11:24 PM
I just bought a Mac recently and researched this question. While it is true that Bibleworks will run on Virtual PC (or other emulators, I suppose) you should be aware the Virtual PC will not run properly on the new Intel based Macs (which is what I have). I'm sure it won't be long before M$ comes out with VPC for the newer Macs, but it is something to consider.

Columcille
02-07-2006, 01:19 PM
I haven't played with Bibleworks on a Mac, but I have played with Bibleworks on Unix systems, and the new Mac OS X has a Unix base. There is a free "emulator" (it claims not to be an emulator but is more or less the same idea) for Unix systems known as http://www.winehq.com and I've had pretty good success with Bibleworks under Wine. I have my eyes on buying a Mac someday, and am anticipating that Wine will work fine and that I would be able to continue using Bibleworks under Wine on the new Intel based Macs.

Note that I haven't tried it yet, but I know that the combination of Wine and Bibleworks works under other Unix environments, and I have heard that Wine works well on a Mac. The Intel architecture is not a problem for Wine. Wine can be a bit tricky to set up, but for a free solution that works it might just be worth the trouble.

Has anyone out there played with Wine on a Mac?

-- Addition
Did a quick google search on Wine on a Mac and came across the following:
http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

apologeticus
02-07-2006, 09:14 PM
that link says that it's only for PPC and that they don't have an x86 (intel) version yet.

Columcille
02-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Another link with brief info:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Wine

terminalfrost
03-29-2006, 02:47 AM
All this information is greatly helpful. I still havent had to make a decision yet; tuition comes first! Accordance looks cool and all; but the price is well...pricey and I LOVE Bibleworks; it'd feel like cheating to use accordance! (Hence my questions about emulators)