View Full Version : APL-Apostolic Fathers Problem
12-30-2005, 08:19 PM
I just purchased Bible works and I cannot display APL (Apostolic Fathers [Latin]). I have done my best to look through the forums but have been unable to find out what is wrong. I have attached a screenshot that displays exactly what I see when I try to look up a passage. Any ideas?
12-31-2005, 08:39 AM
I am assuming that you compiled the file as directed in the readme text file that was downloaded with the program? I had a little trouble at first knowing what to do and some readme files are less helpful than other; i.e., they are not consistent. The Anti-Nicene Fathers had no instructions as I remember in its readme file. Basically, these are the instructions that came with another file I downloaded (the * stands for the name of the databese):
1. Read your BibleWorks manual or help files thoroughly before proceeding.
2. Unzip the files.
3. Copy the unzipped *.txt and *.ddf files to your C:\Program Files\BibleWorks 6\userdb folder.
4. Copy the unzipped *.bww to your C:\Program Files\BibleWorks 6\databases folder.
5. Copy the unzipped *.bna file to your C:\Program Files\BibleWorks 6\init folder.
6. Open the *.ddf files with the Version Database Compiler.
7. Be sure that there is a check in the box "Install after compiling."
8. Hit the "Compile" button.
9. To install booknames, either copy relevant data from the jmdbooks.bna file to the bna file of your preference, and install, or simply switch to jmdbooks.bna.
You will not find a few of these files included with every database, but all the ones I have downloaded work when I have followed these instructions.
12-31-2005, 08:45 AM
After going through all of that I discovered that mine does not work either. My screen also lacks the database. Sorry, I was no help at all.
12-31-2005, 09:11 AM
Here's the deal as far as I know...
There are some portions of the works known as the "Apostolic Fathers" that exist only in Latin. Only these portions have been placed in the Latin text of the APL database. The APL is really not a Latin version, but it is rather a Latin supplement to the Greek text.
If you were to search on all of the instances of the letter "e" in the APL (by typing .*e* in the command line), you will return the following search result:
Pol. Phil. 10:1-3; 11:1-4; 12:1-3; 14:1; Herm. Sim. 9.30.5-31.4; 9.32.1-33.3; 10.1.1-3.3; 10.4.1-5.The texts used in BibleWorks were originally compiled by BibleWorks users from the Christian Classics Ethereal Library (http://www.ccel.org) version (http://www.ccel.org/l/lake/fathers/toc.htm). Here's a link to Polycarp's letter to the Philippians (http://www.ccel.org/l/lake/fathers/polycarp-philippians.htm) where you can see the Latin and Greek text mixed. Here's another link to the Hermas (http://www.ccel.org/l/lake/fathers/shepherd_g.htm) page where you can see the Latin and Greek text mixed.
12-31-2005, 09:54 PM
I realized this afternoon that the APL contains only portions of the text. I originally assumed that this was because that was all that was available in the latin. Thank you jdarlack for clarifying.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.