PDA

View Full Version : BW6.0 Hebrew Font Issue

Halfmoon
12-21-2005, 07:17 AM
I recently purchased BW. The Hebrew font is extremely difficult to read. It's washed out. I can hardly distinguish between the Dalet/Resh and the He/Het. Some of the characters, i.e. the final Nun, final Pe, look like a portion of the letter has been erased or smeared. This is happening on two computers, my laptop and desktop, both Dell/XP/LCD. It prints out fine. Anybody familiar with this problem?

MGVH
12-21-2005, 09:33 AM
My guess is that you don't have ClearType turned on in WinXP. It makes a huge difference, especially with LCD.

>>
Right click on a blank spot on your desktop >
Properties > Appearance tab > Effects button
Check: "Use the following method to smooth..." > select ClearType
> OK > OK

Hope it helps.

Halfmoon
12-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Mark,

Thanks for your help. Using Cleartype does make the Hebrew look better in BW. I was hoping to keep the same "standard" font smoothing option as all fonts look strange to me w/Cleartype. They all seem to look a little hazy. Maybe I just need to get used to that? I appreciate your help.

Victor

wie
12-22-2005, 02:14 AM
Interestingly with me the Cleartype option has exactly the opposite effect. With it turned ON, it looks bad. With it turned off it looks perfect.

Halfmoon
12-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Hmm. That is strange. I know several people who also use BW and would be very surprised if they have "tweaked" their display in order to be able to read the Heb fonts better. I don't think they have switched to "cleartype" but could be mistaken. The characters look fine when the smoothing option is turned off but of course they, and everything else, are somewhat jagged then.

Vic

Gontroppo
12-22-2005, 09:19 PM
I tried the tip to turn on Clear Type, and I think it looks better in Standard mode. I have recently had cataract surgery and new plastic lenses inserted, and am using cheap magnifying glass specs till my ophthalmologist says I can go for new glasses.

Don't know if all this is affecting my perspective on the issue, though.

David McKay
www.davidmckay.info:p

Halfmoon
01-10-2006, 08:23 AM
Maybe I should try catact surgery! Hope that is working well for you.

Victor