PDA

View Full Version : Tagged text

kwilson68
12-09-2005, 05:03 PM
I am a current used of Logos, but it does not have the functionality that I need. Unfortunately, neither does BibleWorks at the present time. The support staff said if enough people wanted the functionality I suggest, they might implement it.

What I would like to do is to tag text as belonging to a certain group. What I want is more than just a particular search range, such as Genesis-Deuteronomy. What I would like to do is tell the program which passages I think belong to the P stratum in the Pentateuch, and then have it be able to search only within those texts.

Granted, I could make up a bunch of search ranges, including one for J and one for P, but since the texts are so scattered it would take a lot of time.

In addition to being able to mark the text myself, it would also be nice if they would include some automatic selections from which to choose. They could have a set that showed what Wellhausen thought was the division, what von Rad thought, what van Seters thinks, etc.

I think this would improve our ability to do research on redactional layers of the text.

Any takers? Anyone else see this as a useful feature?

Michael Hanel
12-09-2005, 05:11 PM
If I understand you correctly, I believe it is quite possible for you to make search limits according to passages you want and then you can label one such group J or P or whatever.

The only thing it would require of you is to know what bible verse sections you would define as each.

I haven't played around with really long extended search limits like this would entail, but I believe it is possible....

Ben Spackman
12-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Source criticism would necessitate a unit smaller than a verse for tagging.

I thought that one of the original features of the colorizer is that you could color text and then use those colors as search limits. However, I've never seen this feature, so perhaps I imagined it.

It would be useful, though. Words of Christ in red, etc. as search limits.

jdarlack
12-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Someone with some programming experience (I have NONE) could perhaps make a BibleWorks database from Christopher Kimball's Tanach page (http://cvkimball.com/Tanach/Tanach.xml). He has developed XML files for the Pentateuch which "tag" verses and portions of verses with the various sources of the "Documentary Hypothesis."

Here's an example of what Genesis 2:3-4 looks like on his page (kinda sorta):

וַיְבָרֶךְ אֱלֹהִים אֶת־יוֹם הַשְּׁבִיעִי וַיְקַדֵּשׁ אֹתוֹ כִּי בוֹ שָׁבַת מִכָּל־מְלַאכְתּוֹ אֲשֶׁר־בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים לַעֲשׂוֹת׃ פ אֵלֶּה תוֹלְדוֹת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְהָאָרֶץ בְּהִבָּרְאָם בְּיוֹם עֲשׂוֹת יְהוָה אֱלֹהִים אֶרֶץ וְשָׁמָיִם׃ in xml:
<c n="2">
<v n="3" s="P">
<w>וַ/יְבָ֤רֶךְ</w>
<w>אֱלֹהִים֙</w>
<w>אֶת־</w>
<w>י֣וֹם</w>
<w>הַ/שְּׁבִיעִ֔י</w>
<w>וַ/יְקַדֵּ֖שׁ</w>
<w>אֹת֑/וֹ</w>
<w>כִּ֣י</w>
<w>ב֤/וֹ</w>
<w>שָׁבַת֙</w>
<w>מִ/כָּל־</w>
<w>מְלַאכְתּ֔/וֹ</w>
<w>אֲשֶׁר־</w>
<w>בָּרָ֥א</w>
<w>אֱלֹהִ֖ים</w>
<w>לַ/עֲשֽׂוֹת׃</w>
<pe></pe></v>
<v n="4" s="R">
<w>אֵ֣לֶּה</w>
<w>תוֹלְד֧וֹת</w>
<w>הַ/שָּׁמַ֛יִם</w>
<w>וְ/הָ/אָ֖רֶץ</w>
<w>בְּ/הִבָּֽרְאָ֑/ם</w>
<w>.</w>
<w>.</w>
<w>.</w>
<w>.</w>
<w>.</w>
<w>.</w></v>
<v n="4" s="J">
<w>.</w>
<w>.</w>
<w>.</w>
<w>.</w>
<w>.</w>
<w>בְּ/י֗וֹם</w>
<w>עֲשׂ֛וֹת</w>
<w>יְהוָ֥ה</w>
<w>אֱלֹהִ֖ים</w>
<w>אֶ֥רֶץ</w>
<w>וְ/שָׁמָֽיִם׃</w></v>
.......... </c>
I think a similar tagging scheme would be helpful for those interested in studying the hypothetical "Q." Not that I endorse either of the hypotheses... Still, both are a part of biblical studies for good or for ill, and both merit examination and scrutiny that BibleWorks could aid.

jakemccarty
12-11-2005, 12:08 AM
I think Paul Haupt did the polychrome Bible a long time ago and maybe that could just get tossed in--already color coded. I doubt it has copyright issues, so it should actually be quite simple to integrate it as a source.

But if anyone were to do such a thing I think it would be a great tool that would radically help finetune source criticism. I'd love to see something in there, but I think it would be more of what X person among Y views thinks about Z text--which is fine with me. But I have no interest in seeing what van Seeters thinks in regards to source criticism. The other problem is that how would one really know what text (or portion of text) one thought was X without reading through all of X's works. Prologomena to the History of Ancient Israel and von Rad's OT Theology will not be of much help for your request. I don't know if this idea would be possible except in tiny increments, which would nullify any hopes of complex searches.

But nevertheless I appreciate your desire to integrate historical study of the OT into Bibleworks...