PDA

View Full Version : Qumran Sectarian Names?

Sirmace
11-17-2005, 06:36 PM
Dear BWanas,
I have really tried, but I can't see how to display, search or otherwise use the scroll names to look up anything in the Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts.
Is there some way to look up references in the scrolls using the typical names (e.g., 1QSa 1QSb 1QpHab 1QM 1QHa 1Q14 1Q15, etc.)? When I enter them on the command line, up pops "Invalid Reference."
It looks like the identical Abegg material in the Libronix product uses these typical names, but when I attempt to use the BW6 Qumran module by Abegg, it suffers from some confusing malady that exchanges these useful scroll names for some jargon I cannot translate nor use (e.g., the above book names seem in the results window to inexplicably become A02, A03, A04, etc.).
Yet one cannot enter these alphanumeric codes. For example, when I type in "A04 1:1" (exactly as seen in the results window), it does not go there, but the popup displays: "Invalid Reference" (same if I just try to go to "A04" and browse). Same if I'll type "G75 f1:1" exactly as displayed in the results window, and still nothing but a popup saying "Invalid Reference."
Sometimes when I type in the traditional alphanumeric scroll name, the popup will seem to refer to the BW mystery alphanumeric replacement. Yet when I enter that name the popup will again tell me "Invalid Reference."
Nothing in the Help under "Qumran" nor "Sectarian." Nothing in the FAQs on the website nor in previous user forum threads that I can find searching for "Qumran," etc.
Am I the only one with this problem?
How do I even look up any reference or go to a scroll to browse? For example, what about when I read in a book that refers to a particular scroll, and I can't even get there in my BW program?
It looks like one can do this normally in the Abegg Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts in the Libronix format; why not in BW?
Is there at least some kind of table available that matches the traditional scroll names with the mysterious replacements used in BW?
If my program is malfunctioning, is there not some fix or update? Yet none appears when I do a web update.
Can somebody please help me to force BW Qumran Sectarian Mss. to be more useful than merely searching on a word, etc.?

Joe Fleener
11-18-2005, 06:03 AM
Do you have the latest 6.0 executable?

help - BibleWorks on the Web - Check for Web Updates

Ben Spackman
11-18-2005, 09:13 AM
This is a problem. What I've done is turn on the drop-down browse boxes in the results window, and navigate that way. You can pick your "book" (4Q394, CD, etc.) from the box.

MBushell
11-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Dear BWanas,
I have really tried, but I can't see how to display, search or otherwise use the scroll names to look up anything in the Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts.
Is there some way to look up references in the scrolls using the typical names (e.g., 1QSa 1QSb 1QpHab 1QM 1QHa 1Q14 1Q15, etc.)? ...

I would recommend first checking that you have the latest executable and the latest Qumran updates. You should be able to just type in the name of the document. There were some early problems which were addressed with updates. It is also important, as David says, to enable (on by default) the book, chapter, verse listboxes. Those will show you the names that BibleWorks recognizes. This is important because to enter a reference on the command line you have to enter a book name and at least the chapter - and some chapters in the Qumran material are non-numeric, like 4Q280 f1:2.

You should not be seeing those cryptic names. Those are internal and should never be seen by the user, so either there is a bug or you don't have the latest executable.

If you will send your bw600.ini file to support@bibleworks.com tell them I said to forward it to me (Mike Bushell), I will take a look at it. In any case we'll get to the bottom of this quickly. Sorry about the problem.

God bless,
Mike

Sirmace
11-18-2005, 05:41 PM
This is a problem. What I've done is turn on the drop-down browse boxes in the results window, and navigate that way. You can pick your "book" (4Q394, CD, etc.) from the box.
Dear Ben,
A blessing upon your head! This is a simple fix to allow some immediate relief! Thanks for the tip!:)

Sirmace
11-18-2005, 05:50 PM
I would recommend first checking that you have the latest executable and the latest Qumran updates. You should be able to just type in the name of the document. There were some early problems which were addressed with updates. . . .

You should not be seeing those cryptic names. Those are internal and should never be seen by the user, so either there is a bug or you don't have the latest executable.

If you will send your bw600.ini file . . . , I will take a look at it. . . .

God bless,
Mike
Dear Mike,
Thanks for your prompt reply! There must be some problem in my information or programming because I have already had all available updates and am still seeing those internal names (e.g., 1QpHab displays in the results window as A04) that should never be seen.
I will email you my bw600.ini file as soon as I find it, and thanks for your concern and work to resolve this problem. :o