PDA

View Full Version : Note Taking Advice

dbielby
11-15-2005, 12:47 PM
I've been thinking about using the note taking options in BW 6.0 for a couple of purposes, but would like your advice if you take notes for similar purposes.

My purpose would be for sermon exegesis, and to be able to present or print/publish for my congregation a provisional study guide that would ride side saddle with my sermon notes each week.

My questions are: For those using the note feature, what do you like about it? Can you take the notes for a chapter or better yet, a paragraph, and publish them as a finished product...or do you need to dump the information into another product like MS Publisher to make it presentable?

Which specific configuration do you like the best and why?

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

Dan Phillips
11-15-2005, 07:33 PM
I'm not sure whether this is responsive to your question -- but I never publish or do anything with my BW notes except use them in BW itself. They're too limited and balky.

I use verse by verse, because the comments I have are usually specific to the verse, and I wan them keyed that way. I would end up with a huge glop of material I'd have to piece through to find notes on v. 3 or 15; instead, I just go to that verse.

I write my sermons in MS Word, using a fairly standard format (I, A, 1, a, i, etc.). Then, when the sermon is mostly done, I gut it, leaving only the major points. I may turn a key word into a blank here and there, for the folks to fill in. That is what I give them as an outline. It usually includes my translation of the verse(s) we're studying, if that's the sermon format.

Hope that's of some help.

dbielby
11-15-2005, 11:29 PM
That's pretty much what I am doing. Sometimes I will take some information that I think is interesting and make a supplemental sheet I call
'tech notes'. It may have a map and some archeological information or some point about Greek verbs...that I would not preach...but may want to point out for those who like those sorts of details. I'm just thinking about developing the notes in BW so that I could print something that would be hand out worthy in addition.