PDA

View Full Version : How to get BDAG pg. #'s

rcavin
11-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know how to find the page number of BDAG references?

In footnoting BDAG, I need the page number from which it came. But in the electronic version unlocked within BW 6.0, I only see entry numbers for words, not page numbers.

thank you,
Robert

Joe Fleener
11-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know how to find the page number of BDAG references?

In footnoting BDAG, I need the page number from which it came. But in the electronic version unlocked within BW 6.0, I only see entry numbers for words, not page numbers.

thank you,
Robert

You cannot get the page numbers from version of BDAG in BibleWorks.

I am not sure what you are writing for. If it is for publication you will want to check with your publisher as many will not accept electronic citations when the printed text is available.

If it is for a class you may want to check with your Prof. or librarian to see if an alternative style is acceptable. Something like:

"sarx," BDAG, BibleWorks 6.0.009i (BibleWorks, 2003).

This type of citation is often accepted by seminaries when using electronic publications.

Mark Eddy
11-09-2005, 10:05 AM
I remember that in another forum I suggested making citations beginning with "S.v." (for sub voco, Latin for "under [the] word") followed by the word that heads the entry from the lexicon. That was allowed in my seminary. But others on that list disapproved.
But if you really want the electronic version of BDAG to include page numbers, you can make the suggestion to the following thread:
Ideas for future development (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68&highlight=suggestions)
If there's enough need for it, it will probably get done, eventually.
God bless your studies of His Word!
Mark Eddy

Dale A. Brueggemann
11-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Or you can cite following this analogy for BDAG:

Footnote: Henry George Liddell and Robert Scott, comps. A Greek–English Lexicon, 9th ed. with supplement, s.v. "i`stori,a."

Bibliography: Liddell, Henry George and Robert Scott, comps. A Greek–English Lexicon. 9th ed. with supplement. S.v. "i`stori,a"

It is indeed an approved Turabian/Chicago Manual of Style format. If you want closer citation, you can then cite the sub-heading in the article.