PDA

View Full Version : Books on the Biblical Covenants

Joshua Luna
11-07-2005, 10:45 AM
I am looking for some books on the Biblical Covenants (Noah, Abraham, Sinai, Phineas, David, etc), preferably from an Academic-Evangelical perspective. Something that examines each of the covenants and spends some time examining them not only in their immediate and Biblical context but also considers the broader issue of covenant treaty forms common in the ANE and the continuity/discontinuity in these regards.

Kaiser's, "Toward an Old Testament Theology" covers much of this ground, but his (excellent) work focuses more on his presentation of the promise than discussing some of the broader issues, conflicts, and viewpoints on each of the covenants and the covenants in general. The book does not necessarily engage the New Testament to any great degree either (although I understand that

Also any books that give a good/fair summary of some of the different approaches to the covenants (covenant theology, dispensationalism, hyper-dispensationalism, etc) would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Joshua

Dale A. Brueggemann
11-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I would recommend the following, all but Blaising from the covenantal theology camp:

McComiskey, Thomas Edward. The Covenants of Promise: A Theology of the Old Testament Covenants. Baker, 1985.
Dumbrell, W. J. Covenant and Creation: A Theoogy of the Old Testament Covenants. Baker, 1984.
Blaising, Craig A. amd Darrell L Bock, eds. Progressive Dispensationalism. Baker, 2000.
Robertson, O. Palmer. The Christ of the Covenants. Baker, 1980.
Poythress, Vern S. Understanding Dispensationalists, 2nd ed. Phillipsburg, NJ: Presbyterian & Reformed, 1994.
Blaising, Craig A., ed. Israel and the Church: The Search for Definition. Zondervan, 1992.

Brian A.
11-07-2005, 09:18 PM
To Dale's list and without giving it too much thought, I might add (his list seems to give the comprehensive type of treatments you are looking for; some of the items below are along those lines, but some are probably more supplementary or partial):

Gordon P. Hugenberger, Marriage as a Covenant: A Study of Biblical Law and Ethics Governing Marriage Developed from the Perspective of Malachi. Leiden: Brill, 1994, pp. 168-215 (ch. 6) (Gives a thorough discussion of the concept/definition of covenant)

Meredith G. Kline, By Oath Consigned: A Reinterpretation of the Covenant Signs of Circumcision and Baptism. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1968,

----, The Structrue of Biblical Authority, Rev. edn. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1975.

----, Kingdom Prologue, South Hamilton, MA: M.G. Kline, 1993.

Jeffrey J. Niehaus, God at Sinai: Covenant and Theophany in the Bible and Ancient Near East, Sudies in Old Testament Biblical Theology, Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1995.

Various essays in Richard B. Gaffin Jr., ed., Redemptive History and Biblical Interpretation: The Shorter Writings of Geerhardus Vos, Grand Rapids: Baker, 1980

J. H. Walton, Covenant: God's Purpose, God's Plan, Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1994.

You might also want to chck out articles on covenant in various Bible encyclopedias along with their bibliographies --> such as IVP's Dictionary of the OT: Pentateuch and their New Dictionary of Biblical Theology; Eerdmans' International Standard Bible Dictionary; etc.

You might also want to check out Daniel P. Fuller, Gospel and Law, Contrast or Continuum: The Hermeneutics of Dispensationalism and Covenant Theology, Eerdmans, 1980 (for an Evangelical evaluation from somewhat different perspective emphasizing continuity more than any other; cf. John Piper; Scott Hafemann).

There's probably much more to be added, but I'm sure that's more than enough without looking into it very much!

God bless you!

David Kummerow
11-15-2005, 08:19 PM
The latest work of which I am aware is:

Weeks, Noel. Admonition and Curse: The Ancient Near Eastern Treaty/Covenant Form as a Problem in Inter-Cultural Relationships. JSOTSS 407. London: T&T Clark, 2004.

It's fairly pricy, though, as all stuff printed by Continuum is.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Joshua Luna
11-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Dale, Brian, and David--thank you very much for your time and assistanace! I have obtained a number of the recommended books and have enjoyed them a lot!

Thanks again for the great tips and leads :D

S_Kolk
11-26-2005, 03:36 PM
I have just discovered this resource:

The Covenants: The Key to God's Relationship with Mankind
By Kevin Conner and Ken Malmin

I just acquired this and have only begun studying it. I bought it because I know the author, Kevin Conner, to be thorough. And in this book he lives up to his reputation. As an example, he addresses a nagging question of mine: "What in the Old Covenant is completed? and What remains to be completed in the New Covenant?"

Those of you who've used the resources already mentioned, tell me please, which ones address this question?

Shalom,

Stephen Kolk
Seattle, WA