PDA

View Full Version : searching

Todd
10-27-2005, 05:28 PM
I tried to find all verses that have 4 (or more) commands in a single NT verse. I did a search in a Greek translation and have not found what I am looking for yet. I tried a "AND" search with this *@vd* repeated 4 times.
It came up with over 1300 verses. It is not treating it like an "AND" search but like a "OR" search.

What am I doing wrong.

Joe Fleener
10-27-2005, 10:48 PM
I tried to find all verses that have 4 (or more) commands in a single NT verse. I did a search in a Greek translation and have not found what I am looking for yet. I tried a "AND" search with this *@vd* repeated 4 times.
It came up with over 1300 verses. It is not treating it like an "AND" search but like a "OR" search.

What am I doing wrong.

Todd,

That was a good idea. I know why that didn't work, but I am not finding quick way to get what you want, which is odd, it seems simple enough.

Your search isn't really doing an 'OR' search as it first seems.

Here is what it is doing (if you like stats this will be fun, if not sorry):

You had: .*@vd* *@vd* *@vd* *@vd*

So for all those verse which have 2 imperatives:

2 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 16

So for all those verse which have 3 imperatives:

3 * 3 * 3 * 3 = 81

So for all those verse which have 4 imperatives:

4 * 4 * 4 * 4 = 256

and so on...

That is not what you want to see.

Here is an option. It is still not exactly what you want, but will get you what you are looking for in the end:

You can do a simple search for all the imperatives:

.*@vd*

In your verse list of results you will see an *4 or and *5 next to those verses which have four or five imperatives in one verse. (I don't think there are any with more than 5.)

You could then go to tools - verse list manager and manually add the verses which fall into your criteria to a verse list. In the end you will have a list of verse containing four or more imperatives.

After all that it would be nice to have a way from the command line to say "give me all the verses which have four or more imperatives."

Just not sure you can do that in one step :confused:

Christopher S Wiley
10-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Here is an option. It is still not exactly what you want, but will get you what you are looking for in the end:

You can do a simple search for all the imperatives:

.*@vd*

In your verse list of results you will see an *4 or and *5 next to those verses which have four or five imperatives in one verse. (I don't think there are any with more than 5.)

You could then go to tools - verse list manager and manually add the verses which fall into your criteria to a verse list. In the end you will have a list of verse containing four or more imperatives.

After all that it would be nice to have a way from the command line to say "give me all the verses which have four or more imperatives."

Just not sure you can do that in one step :confused:
Yeah, this is what I see also, I don't see a way even in the ase to filter the number of occurrences to get that results http://dustylibrary.home.vol.com/smiles/shrug.gif

The good thing is there aren't that many occurrences of imperatives of 4 or more in the NT
http://dustylibrary.home.vol.com/smiles/fing10.gif

Glenn Weaver
10-31-2005, 10:24 AM
The Command Line AND search doesn't work because of the way in which BibleWorks creates word lists. You can do a Command Line search using a string search and specifying the number of intervening words, but that type of search is very slow on the Command Line.

The Advanced Search Engine is the way to go for this search. Add four word boxes with identical words. Include ordering boxes between each word box to indicate that the search must find multiple items in the verse.

Attached is a query file with the search for multiple imperative verbs in the BNM.

(Thanks to Mike and Charlie for their help on this one.)

Glenn

Joe Fleener
10-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks Glenn

I think Yoda would say, "I sense much wisdom in this..." :)

Christopher S Wiley
11-01-2005, 01:34 AM
The Command Line AND search doesn't work because of the way in which BibleWorks creates word lists. You can do a Command Line search using a string search and specifying the number of intervening words, but that type of search is very slow on the Command Line.

The Advanced Search Engine is the way to go for this search. Add four word boxes with identical words. Include ordering boxes between each word box to indicate that the search must find multiple items in the verse.

Attached is a query file with the search for multiple imperative verbs in the BNM.

(Thanks to Mike and Charlie for their help on this one.)

Glenn
I can't get this query to run, it won't even load in the ase. I get this error returned to me:

This file was created with a more recent build of BibleWorks. You can download a free update at http://www.bibleworks.com

So, what am I doing wrong?

My info is:

Version 6.0.012m is the current build I have, I checked for more updates and it says there are none.
I am running on XP Home.

Thanks,

Chris:confused:

Glenn Weaver
11-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Sorry about that. My fault. Try this query.

Glenn

Christopher S Wiley
11-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Sorry about that. My fault. Try this query.

Glenn

Ok, thanks that worked fine

Now, can I get that version you used :D

Todd
11-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the help. I tried my own ASE search and got what I was after. I never did get the query to run that was posted??
For those that did how was the ordering between words set up?

Thanks again

Todd

Christopher S Wiley
11-02-2005, 01:02 AM
Thanks for all the help. I tried my own ASE search and got what I was after. I never did get the query to run that was posted??
For those that did how was the ordering between words set up?

Thanks again

Todd
Use Glenn's second post query, it worked fine.

but here is what it looks like
http://dustylibrary.home.vol.com/smiles/query.jpg