PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Bible?

jhkchan
10-25-2005, 12:59 PM
What is the possibility of having Chinese Bible version(s) included in BibleWorks? Has Unicode matured enough to allow Chinese inclusion? That would open BibleWorks to one fifth of the world's population who use Chinese. Thanks.

John Chan

radioflyer_777
11-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Hi John,

I saw your post about a Chinese Bible in Bibleworks.

If you have an immediate need, you might want to check out E-Sword at www.e-sword.net (http://www.e-sword.net). They have the Chinese Union Version in both traditional and simplified versions, and the program and Bibles are free! :)

I use both Bibleworks and E-sword regularly. They both have their strengths and weeknesses and complement each other nicely.

In Christ Jesus,
Brad P
daddy to Maelee (3, Anhui province) and Lilli (2, Jiangsu province)

shiukl
11-05-2005, 06:36 PM
What is the possibility of having Chinese Bible version(s) included in BibleWorks? Has Unicode matured enough to allow Chinese inclusion? That would open BibleWorks to one fifth of the world's population who use Chinese. Thanks.

John Chan

Do you mean that? (Pls see the attached jpeg):)
You can do that by using the command-- "tools/version database compiler", even you can create your own version of bible!(especially if you are good at Greek and Hebrew )!

lyoung
11-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Hi Shiukl,

How did you do that? Where did you get the cuv source for conversion?

Thanks,

- LY

shalommatt
11-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Hi Shiukl,

How did you do that? Where did you get the cuv source for conversion?

Thanks,

- LY
It is not that hard. BW6 User Manual Section 8.1 "Compiling Version Databases" describes the 3-step procedure.

There are many sites which offer free download of bibles-including the CUV. Try this one for a starter: http://www.o-bible.com/

You can download the CUV (both traditional and simplified chinese characters are available). Once you have downloaded the .txt file, make sure the format is in accordance with the requirements. If necessary, use Word or Wordpad to do any editing.

When you create the DDF file, there is no "Chinese" for you to choose under the Language tab. But, "Other" should do the job.

fadetheway
02-24-2006, 12:47 AM
Hi, I just wonder, can you upload or send me the link where I can download the Chinese Bible Text File.

I downloaded the text file from o-bible before, but it seems I need to do lots of editing in order to make it transfer to Biblework. So if anyone of you can upload the edited text file to us, that would be wonderful.

Pls Advice, thanks.:)

Sam

Mark Eddy
02-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi, I just wonder, can you upload or send me the link where I can download the Chinese Bible Text File.

I downloaded the text file from o-bible before, but it seems I need to do lots of editing in order to make it transfer to Biblework. So if anyone of you can upload the edited text file to us, that would be wonderful.

Pls Advice, thanks.:)

Sam
If this translation is in the public domain, you can send the cuv.txt and cuv.ddf files to Jim Darlack to put on the list of user databases (sticky thread near the top of the threads). Then people wouldn't all have to go through the work of independently "editing" this to become BW compatible. I might even be interested in looking at it, since I have a daughter who has studied Mandarin. I'm assuming this is a Mandarin version.
Mark Eddy

shalommatt
03-01-2006, 01:29 AM
I have downloaded the CUV (Big5-traditional characters) from o-bible.com and have converted the format so that now it fits for the Version Database Complier. I have tested and it works for my BW6.
The .txt file size of 1.05MB (zipped) exceeds the limit (244KB) of an attachment so I cannot upload it here. Since I dont have personal webspace, I have contacted Jim Darlack to see if he likes to put it in his webspace with a link at the first post of this thread.

(Chinese characters are either traditional characters (used mainly in Taiwan) or simplified characters (used mainly in the Mainland). The difference is in the writing. Mandarin (or Potunghua) is the official dialect (both in the Mainland and in Taiwan) and it differs from other dialects like Cantonese (Guangdonghua) and the difference is in the pronounciation of each characters.)

zech
03-01-2006, 02:25 AM
I have downloaded the CUV (GB-simplified characters) from o-bible.com and have converted the format so that now it fits for the Version Database Complier (I saved it as unicode text format). But I have no idea how to create the Verse Maps. I can't understand the help file well enough to make it. If anyone has a copy of the CUV Verse Maps, would you please send a copy to my email:... I will be very appreciated it!!

God bless,
Zech

Mark Eddy
03-04-2006, 01:06 AM
I now have the CUV file in Unicode, but I am having a few problems making an appropriate cuv.ddf file in order to compile it in BibleWorks. I have never tried to compile a version from a Unicode file before. But when I change the CUV file to plain text, all that appears are ?????. So, if anyone has gotten this version to compile, please send your cuv.ddf file (I believe it should be small enough to attach, if you turn it into a .txt file).
I have also prepared a cuv.vmf file which anyone with the CUV version properly compiled may use. I may need to work on it further, if the blank verses that I found in the CUV Unicode file are intentional.
In Christ,
Mark Eddy

fadetheway
03-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi, everyone

For the one who are successfully putting the CUV in BW completely (convert the file and able to see the chinese character in the BW), could you pls use the link below and upload all the necessary file(s) and send it to whoever is interested (my email is mrsamuelor@gmail.com).

http://www.yousendit.com/

It is a free upload services and will sent it to us through email. After you upload it, we can download it within 7 days.

Thanks! Look forward to recieve the file and read Chinese Bible on BW. :)

Mark Eddy
03-27-2006, 04:08 PM
A couple of us have played around with the CUV files. We can't figure out which font they should use. If anyone knows, please respond. I've tried Mingliu and Ariel Unicode MS. But I can't get these fonts to display in BW7.
I have, however, finished the cuv.vmf file so that if CUV ever gets compiled in the version database compiler the verse mapping will be correct.
Mark Eddy

shalommatt
03-27-2006, 07:39 PM
A couple of us have played around with the CUV files. We can't figure out which font they should use. If anyone knows, please respond. I've tried Mingliu and Ariel Unicode MS. But I can't get these fonts to display in BW7.
I have, however, finished the cuv.vmf file so that if CUV ever gets compiled in the version database compiler the verse mapping will be correct.
Mark Eddy
I have BW6 and recently used the VDC to add the CUV. It now displays properly (with MingLiU font of Traditional Chinese characters in Big-5 coding) in the Results Window. But characters inside the Word Statistics Listbox are messed up and I cannot type in Chinese characters in the Command Line to do searches. I suspect this is caused by the limited support of the Chinese language of BW6.

I have forwarded a copy of the CUV file to Jim Darlack and he has similar problem as yours with his BW7. I think he is contacting BW staff to see if they can help. (The fact that the language option in the VDC does not include "Chinese" may hint that BW has limited support of this language. I have used "Other" to display the CUV in my BW6 though.)

MBushell
03-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Shiukl,

If you can send me the text file and DDF file plus the font that is used (assuming they are public domain) I would be happy to post this for users to download directly from us. We can also clean up the VDC a bit.
Send it to mbushell@bibleworks.com.

Thanks,
Mike Bushell
BibleWorks

adamlau
03-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Currently loooking for Chinese Hui1Fu4Ban3 (恢復版) version. CUV is everywhere. HFB is not. Anybody see it anywhere around? I'm hoping to convert the necessary sources to a PalmBible+ compatible database, if licensing allows. Also, PMingLiU and SimHei (bold) are considered the most complete TT fonts for Traditional character display.

lli4g
03-30-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm also eagerly waiting for a CUV bible in Bibleworks 7. Perhaps I can provide the Bibleworks staff with some information about the CUV Chinese Bible and the PMingLiu Chinese font. I'll be happy to provide you with any additional information about CUV if necessary.

CUV (Chinese Union Version) is the most popular Chinese translation among Chinese Protestants today (perhaps 90% of them use it), even though it was translated back in the early 1900's (NT 1907, OT 1919). One reason for its popularity is because there has not been a Chinese translation that clearly supasses CUV. In recent years there is a new transatlion from the Worldwide Bible Society (wwbible.org) which I personally think is fairly good. Someone also mentioned the HueiFu version. That came from the Little Flock group originally founded by Watchman Nee. That translation is somewhat colored by the theology of Watchman Nee and his followers. So it's usage is also generally within that denomination.

PMingLiu is the standard Chinese font included in Microsoft Windows XP and Internet Explorer. So I believe it's automatically available to any software running under Windows. It contains both traditional and simplified fonts.

I would be very excited if CUV will be available in Bibleworks. I'll be glad to volunteer as a beta user for that.

Leonard Li
South Bay Evangelical Christian Church (www.sbecc.org (http://www.sbecc.org))
lli4g@cox.net

Joe Fleener
05-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Shiukl,

If you can send me the text file and DDF file plus the font that is used (assuming they are public domain) I would be happy to post this for users to download directly from us. We can also clean up the VDC a bit.
Send it to mbushell@bibleworks.com.

Thanks,
Mike Bushell
BibleWorks

I just finished a Training Workshop @ Princeton. There is a student from Westminster here who is Chinese and is interested in a Chinese Bible for BW. Has there been ay progress on this?

Whoever has the files if you could pass them on to me as well I can take a look at them.

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com

song_robin
06-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Here is the Chinese Union Bible for BibleWorks 7 in a self-executable.

[removed due to copyright issues]

Downloading: If you are not familiar with free file hosting services, you need to wait about 30-60 seconds before receiving a downloading ticket which will then allow you to click to another page where you can download the actual file for free. You do *not* have to purchase the premium file service to download this file.
Installation: Just open the file and click install. That's it.

NOTE: BIBLEWORKS 7 DOES NOT SUPPORT A SEARCH FUNCTION WITH CHINESE OR ANY OTHER UNICODE LANGUAGE. PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT THIS. This topic has also been discussed elsewhere in this forum.

FYI, this is the "Original" Chinese Bible Version (like a "King James Version" of China). There are two books that will be installed: the traditional Chinese version and simplified Chinese version. However, if anybody has a text version of any of the other Chinese Bible Versions that they would like to import into BibleWorks, just email me and I can try to help you out.

Thanks,

Robin

fadetheway
06-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks Robin, I compelled the file successfully, but I wasn't able to read them because it display symbols rather than Chinese character.

I read Chinese character on my pc everyday and shouldn't have difficulites reading Chinese character.

Does anyone knows how to convert those symbols back to Chinese character.

Look forward to hear anyone soon!

song_robin
06-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Hi there,

Are you using Chinese Windows or English Windows with Chinese Encoding enabled? For English Windows, there are 5 different Chinese Encodings that you can set Windows to display:

- Chinese (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
- Chinese (Macau S.A.R.)
- Chinese (PRC)
- Chinese (Singapore)
- Chinese (Taiwan)

So far, I have only tested with Chinese (PRC) and both Traditional & Simplified Chinese Versions appear correctly. Do you know which encoding you have set Windows to display? You can check by clicking on:

START Menu --> CONTROL PANEL --> REGIONAL & LANGUAGE OPTIONS SETTINGS and click on the top tab called ADVANCED. The first drop-down box will tell you which language is currently selected to match non-Unicode programs.

fadetheway
06-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks Robin, I switched to PRC and I can view Chinese in Bibleworks 7 finally!

It works great, but there is some symbol mixed with the character (ie Gen 1:11, 26)

Anyways, except a few symbol, 98% of the content works great for now.

Thanks again Robin, I have been waiting for someone like you to reply with the add in.

song_robin
06-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks Robin, I switched to PRC and I can view Chinese in Bibleworks 7 finally!

It works great, but there is some symbol mixed with the character (ie Gen 1:11, 26)

Anyways, except a few symbol, 98% of the content works great for now.

Thanks again Robin, I have been waiting for someone like you to reply with the add in.

No problem. I'm also going to see if I can try to get the other 4 encodings worked out as well. I'm not sure but I think the one I uploaded might be specific only to PRC.

I can't check the symbol problem right now because I'm in a different encoding while I'm writing this message, but I'll see if there's anything I can do to fix that as well.

Blessings!

song_robin
07-03-2006, 07:00 AM
For those who are interested, I've fixed the bug that was mentioned earlier in the Chinese Union Bible (there were a couple of other characters randomly appearing in some verses) PLUS I've finally compiled the New Chinese Bible in both Traditional and Simplified Versions. I will be uploading them later this week.

Stay tuned!

Robin

song_robin
07-06-2006, 04:32 PM
The East Asian Bibles have been fixed, increased, and are now available for download here:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1647

It includes the following Bibles:

[Korean]
- KOR Revised Korean Bible (1961)

[Chinese]
- CU5 Chinese Union Version (1919) [Big5]
- CUV Chinese Union Version (1919) [GB]
- NCV New Chinese Version (1992) [Big5]
- NCV New Chinese Version (1992) [GB]

[Japanese]
- JKG Japanese (JapKUG) Bible
- JSD Japanese (JapSNKD) Bible
- JSI Japanese (JapSNKI) Bible

Robin

jchan
09-14-2006, 06:12 PM
I am so disappointed at BibleWorks now that after such a long time we still cannot have the Chinese Bibles in it. The Union Version of the Chinese Bible is nearly a hundred years old, and now it has to be removed for COPYRIGHT issues? Why are Chinese Bibles available for Sword program and many other places online, but cannot be transported to BibleWorks?

For the mercy of Christ, and the million of Chinese souls, can BibleWorks do something to speed up the process?

John Chan

marksir
09-18-2006, 07:15 PM
I tried to add two chinese bibles to BW. It worked out ok. some minor display problems with some chinese characters. Can anyone suggest how to fix that?

A bigger problem i had is: whenever I use the "set version display order" and move the chinese version(s) ABOVE WTM. The WTM display will be messed up. I tested around several times. It doesn't have any problem for Greek or BGM or even WTT Hebrew text. It only occurs for Hebrew morphology version. See the attached images.

Can someone help fix this? I'd really appreciate.