PDA

View Full Version : Search for Qal passive....

jakemccarty
10-19-2005, 06:00 PM
I was wondering if any of you knew how to search for Qal passives? Especially those that WTM recognizes... which are far too few!

Furthermore, as most of you know, the MT text often incorrectly points(which WTM unfortunately follows) Qal passives as Puals and Hophals, and is there a way to search for Qal passives without checking each Pual and Hophal? Because a primary indication of a Qal passive is that there is no corresponding Piel or Hiphal to the said root, is there a way to search for all verbs that occur as either a Pual but not a Piel, or a Hophal but not a Hiphal. :eek:

Ben: I know you learned a bit of Hebrew up there in Chicago, and that you seem to be pretty adroit with this program--any ideas?

Ben Spackman
10-20-2005, 12:46 AM
It's not listed in the morphology helper, but you can search for qal passives. *@vy* brings up 84 verses and 86 hits.

I went to Waltke/O'Connor to see what verses they list as having Qal passives, moused over one, and copied it to the command line. It had that y in it, so I messed around. I suspect that's not all of them (since the search doesn't bring up some references that Waltke lists), but since it's a judgement call based on distribution of the stems, I'm not sure a hard number is possible.

Glenn Weaver
10-21-2005, 09:32 AM
The Word List Manager allows you to search for Qal in one list, the other stems in the other list, the select words common to both lists. Delete the words in the 'other' list to show only words not having a Qal stem.

Be sure to uncheck 'keep morph codes' and Hebrew vowels and accents.

You can save the list as an IEL (Inclusion/Exclusion List) for further searches.

Hope this helps.

Glenn