PDA

View Full Version : Update button on the buttonbar?

ericjdaniels
10-17-2005, 11:27 AM
I check for updates fairly regularly, since there isn't a way that BW lets me know when there is an update available (a great change to see in the next version if possible).

Is there a way to intergrate a button on the buttonbar for quick access to updates. I know I know, I'm lazy. I hate clicking help and carefully clicking "updates" rather than the other stuff surrounding it.

I guess any way to cut corners.

Thanks for the help!

Eric

Michael Hanel
10-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Have you emailed the BW support/ideas people? I'm not a computer programmer, but I would think that adding an extra button on the toolbar wouldn't be too difficult of a job. Granted it's all about priorities, and if there's no extra time because they're working on better things, then i guess there's no time, but I bet it'd be something easy to implement to help out lazy users ;) but as always, they're better equipped to answer a question like that than i am :)

jdarlack
10-18-2005, 08:45 AM
...Is there a way to intergrate a button on the buttonbar for quick access to updates. I know I know, I'm lazy. I hate clicking help and carefully clicking "updates" rather than the other stuff surrounding it....I guess any way to cut corners...Great idea Eric! I would definitely send it along to the company through the proper channels. Perhaps it would be a good idea to enable an "auto update" mechanism that a user can turn on or off as they wish...or at least a mechanism that checks on a regular basis for new updates and ONLY informs the user that they are available at startup. (I hate it when a program I am just getting ready to use shuts itself down for the sake of some update that I did not need at the moment! It's quite intrusive!)

Michael Hanel
10-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Perhaps it would be a good idea to enable an "auto update" mechanism that a user can turn on or off as they wish...or at least a mechanism that checks on a regular basis for new updates and ONLY informs the user that they are available at startup.

I don't know if this plays a role in the decision-making either, but I just thought of it. A reason perhaps why a company would not want to turn on a switch that automatically updates is that that could potentially overwhelm internet bandwidth. Theoretically, there would be a greater demand on the system than there is presently, when users update at their leisure. I don't know if that's a significant issue or not, but I know it probably is an issue on some scale....

Dale A. Brueggemann
10-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Or... BW could leave it just as it is. The present choice to check for and run and update when found works well, and isn't intrusive at all. I think it's set up just about right now. In fact, I think I'll check the update now.

jdarlack
10-18-2005, 09:22 PM
Or... BW could leave it just as it is. The present choice to check for and run and update when found works well, and isn't intrusive at all. I think it's set up just about right now. In fact, I think I'll check the update now.Yup, I agree. It works fine, but as Eric pointed out above, there are a few extra mouse clicks to get to the updater. For those of us lazy folk--who also obsessively check the updater constantly hoping for a new toy--it would be great to have a button on the main toolbar that would allow for an update check with one click!

Dan Phillips
10-19-2005, 09:06 AM
me.n, I'd rather have an update button, too.

de,, I don't know what one-tenth of the 900 utterly non-intuitive buttons up there do as it is, already.

Dan

ericjdaniels
10-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Loved your post Dan. You gave me a good laugh.

Well, all of the feedback is good. I will try and get this to the right people. Point taken concerning those who wouldn't want to have the autoupdate function, but if it was an easy option to turn off, why not have it available for those who do want it...?

So, I will pass it on. Thanks guys.

Eric