PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a bible module?

khoua
10-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Comparing to using e-sword, I now find Bible Works to be far better. However there is one thing that e-sword had which makes easy for me. E-sword gives regular commoners the chance to make their own Bible module to add in. Such like I am Hmong. There is no Hmong Bible module. Therefore I want to make one for my own usage. How will I go about in making a Bible module???

arggem
10-02-2005, 06:57 AM
There is a great section in the Help file on this. It even includes a video! Go To: Help/Online Help Topics/Additional Tools/Compiling Version Data Bases

I have copied a portion from that file for you here.
To create your own Bible version all you have to do is follow a few simple guidelines. The basic process involves three steps:
You must create a properly formatted text file containing your new version.
You must create a Database Definition File by filling in a few simple items in the Version Database Compiler Dialog.
You must compile and install the version (this step is totally automated).

The following sections describe the steps you need to follow in detail.

Step 1: Creating a text file containing your new Bible version

To create a Bible version for the BibleWorks compiler, you will need to create a text file containing the text of the Bible version you are adding. The guidelines that you must follow for producing this file are simple, but they must be followed carefully for the process to work. The text file must be formatted according to the following rules:

Each verse must appear on a single line. Verses must be terminated by a carriage return/linefeed and cannot contain tab characters. There should be no blank lines in the file but you can put comments on a line if you begin the line with two forward slashes. These lines will be ignored.

A verse may not be longer than 32KB.

Each verse must be preceded by its Bible reference using the BibleWorks three-letter standard abbreviation. See Book Name Abbreviations (http://Bookname_Abbreviations.htm) for more information.

The books do not have to be in any particular order, but we recommend that you follow the standard BibleWorks order shown in the Book Name Abbreviations (http://Bookname_Abbreviations.htm) section. Ordering within a book however must be strictly by chapter and verse.
For example, the first few lines of the KJV version in this format would look like this:

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and ...
Gen 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

If you want to start with a blank text file with one Bible reference per line and nothing but the references, you can use the Text Export window to produce a template file. See Exporting Large Sections of Bible Text (http://__Exporting_Large_Sections_.htm). Open the Database Export Dialog (click Tools|Export Database) and select an existing Bible version that uses the same book, chapter, and verse scheme as your custom Bible version. If there is no existing Bible version that uses exactly the same book, chapter, and verse scheme as your custom Bible version, pick an existing Bible version with a similar scheme. Then check the Save as template (references only) checkbox and do the export. This will give you a blank file to start with.

After creating your Bible version, you will need to define a custom verse mapping to correctly synchronize your custom Bible version with the other Bible versions. See Verse Maps Options (http://__Editing_Verse_Maps.htm) for more details. If your version is mapped like an existing one, you can just make a copy of the VMF file of that version.

If you want to see examples of files in the correct format you can also use the Exporter to export a full version and then examine it in a text editor. Note that if you use the exporter, text intended for use with the Version Database Compiler must be in ASCII text for non-Greek/Hebrew versions and in CCAT format for Greek and Hebrew versions.

Once you have the new version text file in the proper format, copy it to your BibleWorks directory in the USERDB subdirectory. This is where new databases are compiled.
Khoua, once you get this step done, write back if you need help on Step 2 and Step 3.

Oh, I just thought of something else. What alphabet system do you use? You might need to get further information on how to make the text file.

khoua
10-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Thank you for the help. I will look into doing step one. After that, I will come back for help.

The writing character system Hmong language use is in the modern English alphabets. The only difference is that the sounds to the characters are different to the sounds in English. And some letters have their different usage also.

arggem
10-02-2005, 04:50 PM
The writing character system Hmong language use is in the modern English alphabets. The only difference is that the sounds to the characters are different to the sounds in English. And some letters have their different usage also.Great! As long as the writing sytem uses the modern English alphabet, you should have no problem doing step one. It doesn't matter at all what sounds you associate with the letters.

Have fun, and if you get stuck, there are a lot of people in the forum to help you...not to mention a GREAT support staff at BibleWorks.