PDA

View Full Version : Targum formatting and updates

Ben Spackman
09-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Two questions-

1)We're essentially dependant on the CAL project for updates to the text and lexicon of the Targums, correct?

2) How does the Targum formatting work? Look at Gen 1:2, TAR. There is text highlighted in grey, and red text within that. As I compare this and other passages to Sperber's text (with variants), I discern no obvious pattern to the formatting in BW. I've had to quit depending on BW for my basic text because I can't determine what's a variant and what's not. Any help?

jdarlack
09-29-2005, 08:01 AM
1) Yep, we're dependent upon CAL's timetable for updates.
2) There's been a bit of discussion on this topic in the past. I posted a message outlining some of the explanations of BW's CAL interface. I don't know if it answers any of your specific questions, but you might want to look. I'll look more closely when I'm at the right computer.

The post is linked HERE (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2066&postcount=3).

jdarlack
09-29-2005, 08:52 AM
In a pinch, one thing that may help, would be to consult CAL's website.

The text as given there for Gen 1:2 (Onkelos, the text in BW's TAR) is as follows:

וְאַרעָא הֲוָת צָדיָא וְרוֹקָניָא וַחֲשוֹכָא <פריש״3״> עַל אַפֵי תְהוֹמָא וְרוּחָא \מִן קֳדָם יוי ׳דייי״3״׳ מְנַשבָא׳מתנשבא״3״׳ עַל אַפֵי מַיָא׃
(Note the coloring above reflects the coloring file in BW, I added it so that it could be compared to my later post, below.)

The text can be accessed by going to CAL's Targum Search (http://cal1.cn.huc.edu/searching/targumsearch.html) page (by the way, this is a way to get access to the OT Peshitta as well).

CAL gives an info page (http://cal1.cn.huc.edu/searching/targum_info.html) for each of the texts it uses. For Onkelos it states:

The main text is that prepared by M. Cohen for his new multi-volume publication Mikraot Gedolot HaKeter (Bar Ilan University Press, 1992-), based on the best available mss. for each text. Variants marked #2# have been chosen for their lexicographical value from the text published by A. Sperber in his The Aramaic Bible (Brill, 1959-73), while those marked #3# are selections from the texts cited in Sperber's apparatus. In the case of lengthy variants (in Onqelos only at Lev. 26:44), the variant number appears as the last number in the coordinate, otherwise the "1" at the end of the coordinate indicates it is the main text. Thus "326441" means: Book 3 (Leviticus), chapter 26, verse 44, main text.

jdarlack
09-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Interesting,

The BW TAR file has the following for Gen 1:2 (Onkelos):

וְאַרעָא הֲוָת צָדיָא וְרוֹקָניָא וַחֲשׁוֹכָא פרישׁ עַל־אַפֵי תְהוֹמָא וְרֻוחָא מִן־קְֹדָם יוי דייי מְנַשׁבָא מתנשׁבא עַל־אַפֵי מַיָא׃

Note that פרישׁ, which is marked as a variant in the CAL website as <פריש״3״> (see above post) is not marked by the BibleWorks version of CAL. (I added the underline for ease of reference.) Is this an error? On the other hand, the tagging of the TAM is marked with an "Ea" meaning that it was a word added by the editor (of CAL?).

Perhaps the coloring file for TAR should be changed to reflect where such additions have been made.

That being said, all of these editorial changes greatly changes the effectiveness of grammatical searches in the TAM. If the database were to ever get full parsing of each word (let's hope this is coming), then one would be hindered in doing detailed searches of grammatical constructions in the TAM. This could be solved in a few ways:

1. Make a diplomatic text or an ecclectic text that is straightforward for the sake of searching.
2. Display ONLY the base text as found in Sperber, or whatever other text is used for the database for the sake of searching.
3. Create a database where one can "toggle" variants off for the sake of searching.

I don't know what's in store for the future of CAL, but I'd imagine this would need to be addressed.

One more thing: Does anyone know if there will one day be "full" parsing information for CAL? I know that Accordance already has the full parsing information, and that Libronix reports that their version of CAL will have full parsing. Will BibleWorks have this as well?