PDA

View Full Version : Exporting/Importing .ini files

Roy S. Miller
09-23-2005, 12:36 AM
Suggestion

Requirement for transferring BibleWorks configuration files (.ini files) from one computer to another. NOT being able to easily do so due to improper windows sizing and proposed solution.

.ini files are the heart and soul of BibleWorks. I don’t know about anyone else but it takes several hours for even a very experienced user as I am to properly setup a BibleWorks configuration the way I like it with all options selected according to my preferences, with approximately 30 display favorites involving 4 or 5 Bible versions per favorite each, with every window sized and positioned exactly as I desire, etc. (There is a definite reason for why I position each window where it is or for why a window is maximized) A lot of work that should need be done once and only once.

There is definitely a need for producing standardized .ini files, for a class, for example, so that all the students can have a similar configuration. The configuration manager can be enabled and the .ini file, ‘exegesis.ini’ for example, can be placed in the c:\program files\bibleworks 6\init\ directory. The student can have his own configuration for his personal use and he can have this one for when he is doing his class work or actually attending class. This could be the base configuration that he can then modify further to his own preferences, of course. (I should probably toss in a she somewhere)

Also, BibleWorks does have a long configuration curve. Too often I run into EX BibleWorks users buying other Bible software or BibleWorks users who are still in Beginner mode and thus missing out on the enormous power of Power User mode. What I have been trying to do is to provide other users with standardized .ini files that are preconfigured to best demonstrate BibleWorks features and power and along with a one or two page instruction sheet of how to user Power User mode. (Once they understand the funky syntax and a few commands, they can quickly be off at full speed). These .ini files are carefully configured to display perfectly on the laptop that I want to use to introduce other users to BibleWorks.

The problem is that when these .ini files are installed on computers with differing screen resolutions than the one on which they were originally configured, when BibleWorks is brought up on this new computer, boom, most of the windows (other than the main BibleWorks window) are either not resized or are left at an inappropriate size, often with very unpleasant consequences. (The window may not be resizable because the bottom is under the Windows task bar and the user has to know how to hide it, for example, or even worse problems)

Therefore, all my efforts at helping ease a beginner into getting the most out of BibleWorks come to naught because now he has so many difficulties trying to straighten out this windows mess, it would have been better if I had not attempted to ‘help’ him.

What I would like to see I BibleWorks automatically scale all windows as a configuration file is moved from computer to computer. Ie, the .ini was configured on a computer with a screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 and it has been moved to a computer with a screen resolution of 1280 x 800. Save the actual screen resolution in the .ini file (currently ScreenRes is just the width alone, rather than both width and height as would be required as I request) Treat each window corner coordinate positions as say x/y coordinates of say 0…100%/0…100% of screen width and height and then RECALCULATE new .ini values for each and every window (and frame within the window) based on the new computers actual screen resolution so that the proportions, at least, are retained. There would be some quantization/rounding error. Actually, to me, it would be better to normalize .ini window positions as x/y coordinates 0…2**32-1/0..2**32-1 or whatever and then during BibleWorks initialization compute the actual numbers necessary for Windows and save them. That would ensure that when .ini files were transferred across multiple computers there were no rounding errors. I think that this would not be that difficult to implement and it would surely make life simpler for a lot of users.

Roy

(Hopefully this is not too garbled???)