PDA

View Full Version : ASE: LXX reflex of Hebrew InfAbs + Finite form?

doc_dave
09-14-2005, 06:58 AM
I am trying to work out how I would search the Septuagint for the Greek construction(s) used to convey the Hebrew infinitive absolute + finite form. There are cartloads of these, of course; one example would be 1 Sam 1:10, where Hebrew "uvako tivkeh" is translated by "kai klaiousa eklausen", i.e., by ptc + finite form of same verb.

What I can't puzzle out is how I would ask the ASE to find all instances in the LXX of where a ptc of any given verb is immediately followed by a finite form of that same verb.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
David.

Mark Eddy
09-14-2005, 01:14 PM
You can start right at 1Sa 1:10. Using LXM or BGM as your search version, highlight

klai,ousa klai,w vppanfs e;klausen klai,w viaa3s

and right click on it. Choose "Search for String."

Then click on the down arrow to the far right of the command line, and choose "Advanced Search Engine." An Advanced Search Engine window will open.

Double click on the box at the lower left in order to edit it.

In the Word Box Options window replace the Word klaiw with *.

Click on the “<<help” button to the right of the “Morph:” line.

Choose “verb”, click “next”, choose “participle”, click “finish.” The Morph: line should read: @vp*

Click OK at the bottom of the Word Box Options.

Then double click on the box at the lower right of the Query in order to edit it.

In the Word Box Options window again replace the Word klaiw with *.

Again click on the “<<help” button to the right of the Morph: line.

Choose “verb”, click “next”, choose “indicative”, click finish. This Morph: line should read @vi*

Click OK at the bottom of the Word Box Options.

Now at the top of the Query window click “Insert” and choose “Agreement box.”

Click on the “Set Word Connect Mode” button (two boxes with a diagonal line between) and connect the new “Agreement box” to the two Word boxes you just edited.

Double click on the Agreement box. In the “General” area check “Lemma”, then click OK.

Finally at the top of the Query window click the green “go” and BW will open a Query Results window with a list of verses in which a Greek participle is immediately followed by the same Greek verb in the indicative.

I come up with 169 hits in 156 verses in BGM (which includes hits in the apocrypha and NT, which were originally written in Greek).

But a similar search in WTM for an infinitive absolute immediately followed by a verb of the same root in the imperfect yields 328 hits in 300 verses. A separate search for the inf. abs. followed by a perfect of the same root yields 80 hits in 74 verses. So obviously the LXX used a variety of constructions to translate this Hebrew construction.

BW allows you to compare these various lists, but it will take a few more steps.

I hope this is what you’re looking for.
Mark Eddy

doc_dave
09-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Thanks for this Mark, that's just what I was looking for. "Lemma agreement" is the key, I see!

Also, I find the results a bit surprising, so this is one to nudge away at. It's clear there are cases when the LXX seems to reflect the InfAbs+Finite construction in the parent text where it does NOT occur in MT, and these are the ones I'm trying to catalogue.

That was a lot of typing to pass along those instructions, and I'm grateful you made the effort!

David.