PDA

View Full Version : sharing configurations between two computers

schvan
09-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Like many, I have a desktop and a laptop - and I use BibleWorks on both regularly.

Is there a way for my laptop and desktop to share BibleWorks configuration files? For instance, so that if I were to create a workspace or a parallel versions configuration on one of my computers - the other would automatically have access. The two are connected through a network.

I did find the list of directories in the option window - but this seems to only give me access to saved files - not screen configurations or parallel version configurations etc...

I am guessing I have to do something with the *.ini files in the \Windows directory?

I am hoping there is at least one computer geek who reads this list who has figured this out. Unfortunately I am just a computer geek wanna-be.

Stephen

Mark Eddy
09-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Yes, the bw600.ini file in the Windows directory has to be copied from one computer to the other, if you want both to have the same settings. I copied mine to a CD and then onto the new computer. But since the .ini file remembers your last open results window, if you want to pick up at exactly the same place on both computers, you would have to copy tha bw600.ini file to the other computer after each time you close down BW. Also in the BW "init" folder the bwverse.hst and bwword.hst files change every time you do a search, so those would have to be copied over as well, if you want exactly the same setting on both computers.
For me it is sufficient to have basically the same bw600.ini file on both computers, but I don't care if they both open to the same results window each time. So I just copy the bw600.ini file when I make major changes in it.
I hope this helps.
Mark Eddy

boeinguy2
09-16-2005, 03:59 PM
I run my copy off of a 4 Gb USB drive. I can use it anywhere I go with the settings always the same. I love Biblewoprks and enjoy stopping here and there during work or otherwise to let my mind explore some question I am pondering.

The .ini file is stored on the USB drive. All my files are kept there so that I always have hwatever I am working on at the time with me.

jakemccarty
09-17-2005, 07:15 AM
Would this type of configuration (USB Drive) allow one to use BW on a IPaq? Also, any chances the BW 7.0 will work on one?

Anybody want to weigh in on if 7.0 will make it in time for the SBL meeting?

Joe Fleener
09-17-2005, 10:43 AM
I am quite sure BibleWorks will not work on any PocketPC or Palm device.

I thought there was a statment to this end on their website, but I cannot find it.

As for SBL! Your guess is as good as anyone's!:D