PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Updates

mhl6493
09-01-2005, 09:18 AM
When I attempt to download BW updates on my laptop, I am able to download them just fine, and apparently applying the patches is no problem. However, toward the end of the process, my computer tells me that it is waiting on BW to shut down, it gives me a countdown, and it apprently never does shut down. As a result, I receive a message saying that the update failed. However, when I open BW again and click on "Check for web updates," the particular update that I just tried to download does not appear on the list anymore -- which leads me to believe that the update did NOT fail after all.

Being a BW newcomer, I was just wondering if you BW "old pros" had any ideas.

Thanks, and God bless!

Mark

Joe Fleener
09-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Do you happen to have Norton Firewall?

I do, and began having similar problems recently. I have had it for years and never had any problems, but heard of others have bad experiences with Norton's firewall.

Anyway, I finally turned it off (and turned XP's firewall on) and the problems with BW downloads went away (along with several other issues I was having).

If you do have Norton Firewall, trying turning it off.

Now, the problem will be, your version of BW will "think" it downloaded the update fine, when it fact it did not. So when you check for it it will not show.

Even if you check "show downloaded updates" under options, all this will do is try to apply to patch that was probably not downloaded correctly - although you could try this first.

If that does not work go to http://www.bibleworks.com/DLSP_R_v6_rev1.htm and download the patch again placing it in your "patches" directory with BW closed. Then open BW and it should apply it.

mhl6493
09-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Joe,

Thanks for your reply. I have Norton Anti-virus, but not Norton Firewall. Actually, I tried downloading the NET update file this morning, and everything appeared to work fine. So hopefully the link you gave me to download the patches again ought to get the job done. I'll go back and reinstall the one's I downloaded previously.

Thanks again, and God bless!

Mark Littleton