PDA

View Full Version : Searching the Lxx

ugotdave
08-30-2005, 08:31 PM
I am searching the Lxx to cross reference the Hebrew scriptures, but I am finding it a challenge to determine the correct Hebrew word that the Greek correlates with. I have very little Hebrew and no Greek knowledge.

Does any one know of an easy way to resolve this issue within BibleWorks ?

A Lxx Greek Hebrew interlinear would be great about know!!!

Mark Eddy
08-31-2005, 10:45 AM
I don't know how you can possibly do what you're trying to do without knowing both Hebrew and Greek.
Even if you knew both languages, you are trying something that is in many cases not possible.
Some books of the LXX indeed are very "literal" translations, even following Hebrew word order and matching up verb tenses in very un-Greek ways. But other books of the LXX are extremely free translations.
E.g. there are a number of extra lines in Proverbs in LXX that have no basis in the Hebrew original.
Verse order and chapter order has been changed in 1-4 Kingdoms (though BibleWorks tries to match these up). In some cases one verse in the LXX covers many verses from the Hebrew from different chapters. And often these are just paraphrases.
In Jeremiah whole chapters or parts of chapters are omitted. Sometimes the omission begins in the middle of a verse.
Why do you want to make such a comparison of the Hebrew and LXX? Perhaps we can find a different way for you to find what you're seeking.
In Christ,
Mark Eddy

MGVH
08-31-2005, 01:49 PM
Actually, there are a few ways to get at your question.
1) Within BW, you could do it word by word and deduce from the glosses (or Strongs) which word in the Hebrew is the word in the Greek.
2) Better, but not available within BW, is to look at the print version of Hatch-Redpath Concordance to the LXX. For every Greek word, an indication is given of what Hebrew word it is translating.
3) To get from the Hebrew to the Greek, though, you need to look at Appendix IV of the print version of Hatch-Redpath which is a "Hebrew Index to the Entire Concordance." Unfortunately, it only tells you the page and column in which to look for the Hebrew word and its related Greek.
4) So, T. Muraoka went through and compiled it all. His work is available in:
Hebrew/Aramaic Index to the Septuagint: Keyed to the Hatch-Redpath Concordance. (Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0801021456/qid=1125506058/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-7439980-1107009?v=glance&s=books&n=507846))

All of this is still rather daunting without a decent grasp of Hebrew and Greek. So if Muraoka's work could someday be incorporated into BW....

ugotdave
08-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Mark,

I wanted to compare the Lxx to the Hebrew Scriptures to see how the translators chose the Greek words that correspond with their Hebrew counterpart. But, as I feared, I will have to have knowledge of the Greek and Hebrew language. If you can think of any way I can achieve this let me know.

Thanks

Ben Spackman
08-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Look in this thread, 3rd comment.

http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4450#post4450

ugotdave
09-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Ben -
Thank you for taking the time to look that info up.
I guess I wait for BW 7 :)

doc_dave
09-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Meanwhile, you could attempt to make use of the NETS (New English Translation of the Septuagint) at this site (http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/). Check their "Statement of Principles" #7, and you will see why it might be of value for your interests, without a knowledge of Hebrew or Greek. Draft translations are on-line there, too.

Sorry if this is old news!

Best wishes, David.

ugotdave
09-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Thank you Doc Dave, I will check it out!