PDA

View Full Version : bibleworks 7.0?

alan1979
08-30-2005, 12:12 AM
Any news, updates, or tabloid info on 7.0? Lol

alan

Ben Spackman
08-30-2005, 12:06 PM
I don't know anything more than you do, but I know tidbits have been dropped along the way. I decided to go back and find them. I know there are things we haven't been told about and I think it's also possible that some that were discussed may not happen for programming or licensing reasons.

So, here's what I found on the boards.

Lust's LXX lexicon, this thread (http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67&highlight=lust)

NO Jenni and Westerman, YES to the big Liddel& Scott, I'll just copy Michael Bushell's post (comment #4) (showthread.php?t=795&page=1&pp=10&highlight=maps) on the topic.

Hi guys,

Just to whet your appetite a bit, we are looking at a number of new modules for 7.0. We have over a dozen major item in the works. Westerman is not on the list for 7 simply because there is a limit to what we can do and still get the product out in a reasonable amount of time. In fact the new module and documentation are the major things holding up the release. In answer to your suggestion, yes all resources will have Scripture hyperlinks and be integrated into the Lexical/Grammatical Help dialog, including the old references like TWOT, etc. We will also have Unicode support, a completely new editor that is really, really nice, and a LOT of new surprises that we can't talk about because they would be copied in a heartbeat. We think this will be a really nice release.

Your next question is time frame. All I can say is that it will NOT be ready for a Fall release. We are waiting on too many important databases to be finished by then. It is possible by the end of the year, but early to middle of next year is much more likely. People who buy 6.0 within 90 days of the release can get 7.0 for just the cost of shipping and handling, and any price difference between 6 and 7 (there may be a small price increase - the first ever). Outside the 90 day window upgrades will, as always, be very reasonable. We need to be clear about all this because the delays in the release could hurt 6.0 sales and there is really no reason for that. We have to pay bills between now and the release and chatter about the relase could really hurt us if it causes people to wait for months for 7.0 to come out. So remember that we have the most generous upgrade policies in the business - because we value and appreciate loyal customers. 6.0 is still the best thing out there.

One more tidbit. We are finally doing the big Liddell-Scott. The work is in progress but it is big job and it won't be released until a few months after the 7.0 release. We want to do a very good job on this one. LSJ is not going to be superceded for a very long time, if ever.

Please pray for us. There is a huge amount of work involved in pulling all this together and this is by far our most ambitious release.

I asked a question several months ago about passing reference to other programs and Michael Bushell responded here (http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694).

Hi Ben,
Something very like this is already in the prototype 7.0 program. You can add links to the menubar and dropdown menus that will open another program and pass it the current reference. So if you are in BW you can easily open up a commentary in another program at the verse you are studying. So stay tuned

That's all I've found.

I look forward to 7 sometime in the distant future, but I also recognize the vast utility and near-perfection of version 6 (having used 4 & 5 as well).

The best way to support version 7 at the moment is by purchasing version 6 (if you're only thinking about it) and the modules that you can. Or heck, just donate some cash ;)

Ben Spackman
08-31-2005, 05:26 PM
The other thread about Septuagint/HEbrew studies reminded me of this, and I hunted it down.

Back in April, someone asked about a way to do LXX/WTT studies and Emmanuel Tov's work.

Michael replied,

There's no way to do that currently. You can find all verses that contain one word in one version and another corresponding word in another version. Bit that won't give you a one-to-one word comparison. The LXX/BHS database will do this for Hebrew and Greek as you say. It's in the works. (My underline). So, something similar is in the works. :)

http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44&highlight=tov%27s

I also found this post in January, so perhaps it's no longer accurate...

The next release of BibleWorks will have the Tov BHS-LXX parallel database and that will handle most needs for finding Hebrew-Greek equivalents. It's looking really nice! Unfortunately there are no good alternatives until then.

The Misnah and Inscriptions probably will noy make it into 7.0 but there is a good possibility of a followup addon for them. We will be adding a lot of new material in the next release. I think you will be pleased. We cannot give a date, but it is certainly several months away.

http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612&highlight=tov%27s

Again, who knows when this is coming. The best way to support forthcoming versions is to buy the current one and encourage your friends and students to do so. (I covered the pros and cons of BW, Accordance and Logos in the Bib. Hebrew class I taught this summer, and several students began counting their pennies for BW...)

Michael Hanel
08-31-2005, 06:05 PM
with the availability of these products rather widely published I imagine we can also look for the Philo and OT Pseudepig to be available. The question would be whether it would be available as part of the program or as modules like Qumran, etc. Guess that just depends on how much production/copyright costs work out to be....