PDA

View Full Version : need help in a search

alan1979
08-29-2005, 06:00 PM
I am trying to find how many times Luke uses the first person singular or plural in reference to himself and possibly others in the book of Acts. I did a search for a general 1st person present indicative singular/plural in Acts but it turned up items where Luke was quoting Peter and Paul. How do I just find Luke using the 1st person in reference to himself?

alan

arggem
08-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Hi Alan,

I rather doubt that you can get that information in a search. I don't think the database is tagged that way. (If I'm wrong, I'm sure a real BW guru will correct me).

Meanwhile, I'd suggest importing the whole CC list (that contains the wanted hits as well as the spurious ones) into the Verse List Manager. From there you will have to evaluate each occurrence. You can the delete the spurious hits (Edit/delete). Once you have finished, you can export the Verse List back to the CC and go from there.

I think this is a case where human intervention once again is necessary in the exegetical process. I guess we should be glad the machine can't do everything. We'd be out of a job/ministry!

There might be an easier/better way of doing this. If so, someone will be along to share it.

Charlie
09-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Alan,

Gary is right. You'll have to do this manually and I usually also suggest using the Verse List Manager for projects like this.