PDA

View Full Version : Verse Maps WTM to NAU?

Roger Horning
08-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Hi: I have a question. When I am using the WTM version, the verse mapping to the NAU translation is not accurate. How do I update this?

Clinton Branscombe
08-19-2005, 08:38 AM
I am not sure you really want to update. Printed Hebrew versions divide the text at different points. If you wish to see this open NAU and WTM and go to Gen 32:1. In most translations the English will display 32:1, but Hebrew 31:55. Notice that the CONTENT is the same in each version. BibleWorks tries to keep the content in alignment.

To see a list of the mapping differences go to Tools/Options/Verse Maps. Also in the help file check the index under Verse Maps.

If you change the verse numbering, your version will not longer align itself to the printed version. The traditional way to handle this is to include both references sytems when citing (Gen 32:1 [H 31:55]).

Roger Horning
08-19-2005, 10:00 AM
Clinton:

Thanks for the reply. My problem is that I am doing a cross version search in the ASE where I am looking for verses where an english word appears but not a particular hebrew word.

Because the hebrew verses are different, it needs to compare NAU Psa 4:1 with WTM Psa 4:1-2. Instead it is comparing NAU Psa 4:1 with WTM Psa 4:1.

In the NAU verse mapping file the appropriate changes are listed. However, when I look at my WTM verse mapping file, it is empty. I was thinking that if a verse comparison list was in the WTM file, that would solve my problem.

I think someone has made a list like that that I was hoping to copy and past into the verse mapping file.

Any suggestions?

Roger

PS. Is your WTM verse mapping list empty too?

Clinton Branscombe
08-19-2005, 08:23 PM
I am no expert in this, but from what I see in the documentation the WTM is a Dest file which seem to be one ofthe base maps to which others conform. It also says that map files saved with the VMF extension are ASCII, which are compiled automatically to VMC binary by BibleWorks. If so, it might be possible to edit the ASCII file, swap the column order and replace the WTM with a NAU. If the NAU map were deleted, then NAU might be the Dest file to which WTM must conform. But this is definitely something that should not be attempted without backups!! :)

Does your search work if you limit it to a range where the verse numbers are the same? Perfecting it there may help when you move to the areas where the mapping is not the same.

Roger Horning
08-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Clinton:

Thanks for your help on this. The search does work fine everywhere accept where the versification is different. I suppose I could reverse the columns in the NAU verse maps. I was hoping to make the changes from within Bibleworks intself. (options/verse maps/ edit-Hebrew-wtm)

Backups definately seem like a good idea :)

Roger

Roger Horning
08-20-2005, 01:01 AM
I think I figured out that the issue was with the verse mapping files in general. I did not need to add a new map for the WTM version. I needed to adjust the verse maping files for the NAU.

The problem is that I can't map NAU Psa 4:1 to WTT Psa 4:1-2. There has to be a one verse for one verse matching.

I haven't solved by search hit problem. But I have figured out that what I thought was the solution was not.

Mark Eddy
08-20-2005, 11:28 AM
BibleWorks (henever possible) maps all translations to the original languages in which the Scriptures were written. Therefore WTT is the OT version which needs no mapping file (and since WTM exactly follows WTT, it has no mapping file either). For the NT the Nestle-Aland text has been chosen as the original (that's GNT or BNT in BibleWorks). So those versions need no mapping file, neither do their morphoology verions: GNM and BNM. For the apocrypha the LXX is usually treated as the original text (though in Dan. 3 this doesn't work out, so BW has a work-around).
I believe that what may be throwing you off is that the verses which display in your Results window depend on your search version. BibleWorks shows your active search version in the left hand corner at the top of the Results window. So if you search in Hebrew, Psa 4:1 WTM displays with Psa 4:1 NAU. Psa 4:2 WTM also displays with Psa 4:1 NAU. But if your search version is NAU, then Psa 4:1 NAU displays with both Psa 4:1 and Psa 4:2 in WTM at the same time.
Earlier incarnations of BibleWorks did contain some verse maps that went both ways, but this led to some strange combinations in the results window. So I think that all you need is to remember what your active search version is, and if you don't like the way the verses map, switch your search version to the other language.
God bless!
Mark Eddy